1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CURTIS 3000 Snow Plow (wont lift)

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by getrdunn, Dec 9, 2009.

1. getrdunn

getrdunn Junior Member

2. mikefras

mikefras Member

Check for a pinched wire, I helped a buddy out with the same symptoms and he pinched the wire to the float sloenoid and the pump would pump but no lift. It sounded like the pump was just spining and no movement.Angled fine but nothing else.

3. getrdunn

getrdunn Junior Member

If I can not locate a pinched wire which I have seen however they seemed to check out OK, Could you just run a new wire or two from the controller to the lift selonoid. Also if you take a test light and check the two wires from the plug provided the plow is powered and your in the lift mode should the test light light up or is there not much voltage at the selonoids.

Thanks very much for your help.
    we are getting hammerd up here.

4. getrdunn

getrdunn Junior Member

I also noticed on this same plow that there are two plugs that go to two of the selonoids that are blue and orange. My selonoid wire colors are as follows. Orange of course being the ground on all 4 seloniods. white, green, blue, blue. These are the four different color wires that go to the selonoids along with the orange being the ground. Any ideas on which color is the lift for sure.

Facing the front of the truck looking at the pump I have one selonoid on the top left being blue and orange. Top right is white and orange. Bottom right INSIDE is green and orange. Bottom right OUTSIDE is blue and orange.

The way I left it today I assumed the top left was the lift???

I also have two plugs that go to nothing. There is a selonoid for the down Correct??? Is that the same one for down???
    This is either a 04 or 05 model plow..

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much.
    John

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  5. getrdunn

getrdunn Junior Member

Sorry for the ongoing post here guys but I am really worried about getting behind. The other thing I wanted to make sure you knew is that I stipped back a little of the red wire shortly after the controller but before the connection and jumped a wire from that to each one of the colored selonoid wires and was still unable to get the lift mode to do anything. If I recall right I may have seen the plow go to the left and up at one point when pressing the left button. I was by myself and was a little difficult.

Just wanted to ad this.

Thanks again,
    John

6. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

In the third post of this link is the wiring diagram. Hope it helps.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=89724

Check out the pins in the plug closely too. They can be fragile.
    Sounds like you are not getting power on the red wire at the solenoid.
    Start there with a tester and work your way back to where you do have power on the red.
    Between those points is the break.

Also I have included here the diagnostic guide. The plug pinout is in there so you can find the red wire in the plug. Good luck!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. amocerino

amocerino Senior Member
    from 01606

For the lifting problem give me a call at 1-800-343-7676 ex3042.

8. getrdunn

getrdunn Junior Member

Thank you for your help.
    The latest thing I found out is the lift will go up if I give the seloniod 12 volts with the pump running. I ran a wire from the blue wire on the selonoid and ran it up to the dash near the remote. I thought I would be able to find the lift wire after the remote in the harness with a test light. I can only get the other three to light up and identified those wires for left right and down. Why is it that the lift wire which I assume is red won't light up. I was hoping to splice it into the harness there. I did this after the remote and before the plug. This would tell me that the remote is bad however I tried another one and it did the same thing.

This doesn't make sense.
    Thanks for your help in advance.
    John

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  9. getrdunn

getrdunn Junior Member

Also wondering after looking at the wiring diagram why my lift selonoid is on the top left facing the unit and also the wire color is blue.

10. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

The lt blue/blue wire is the jack extend wire not the lift. You are looking at the wrong wire and solenoid. Its the red wire as the diagram shows that lifts the plow. If you have no power on the red wire, that's the trouble or at least part of it.

11. amocerino

amocerino Senior Member
    from 01606

Give me a call at Curtis Industries 1-800-343-7676 ex3042.

12. getrdunn

getrdunn Junior Member

I know what your saying however I have two blue wiresat the selonoids, one with a black stripe. The solid blue does run my lift and it is located on the top left of the pump. The other blue wire with the stripe is for left. I bumped all selonoids with 12 volts to identify it's purpose. This is completely different than that of the manual.

I worked on it again today and tested each selonoid wire at the remote connection and the red nor any of the wires light up when pressing the lift. With the exception of the brown of course. All others tested out just fine. This would tell me that this is a remote issue however I tried another remote off a working plow and still doesn't work. Even if the red wire was disrupted between the remote connection and the pump I would think that it wouldn't matter considering where I am testing it. I am really confused. I definately have to call Amocerino. Just wanted to check everything out I could before calling. I am also a little more familiar with the electrical.

Is it possible that my pump is off a 2000? The plow was purchased new in 05 and been in my hands ever since.

Are you around on Saturdays Amocerino???

Thanks,
    John

13. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

I'm sure Amocerino will help ya out....
    good luck

FYI
    This was taken directly from the diagnostic guide -

diag.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  14. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

check your truckside plug to see if your getting any power to the plug. if it is a single plug harness the pin will be on the top row second plug from the left. see if you get any power to that, if you do then your problem is on your plowside harness somewhere. to be honest i have been fighting with this curtis wiring for the last month and i ended up putting a 2 plug boss harness along with a western 12 pin harness.
    Also the lift wire is red. when you are facing the back of your blade the lift coil is on the top left, (drivers side)
    100% i bet its a bad wire somewhere either the red from the coil to your truck or you orange wire does not have a good connection to where all the common grounds join eachother.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  15. getrdunn

getrdunn Junior Member

Thanks for the help,
    What I don;t understand is that I have bumped all the selonoids to identify each. When I bump the Top Right facing the back of the blade (passenger side) the blade lifts. All selonoids check out. I ran a seperate wire from the dash remote (red) up to the lift selonoid along with tying another ground to the existing common (orange) and I get nothing. I have checked the ground out on the lift and it is fine so there wasn't a need anyway.

The dealer that installed this unit must have switched something. I have confirmed each in every selonoid at the pump. Mine is different than what I am seeing everywhere. The only thing I can think of is if the dealer perhaps altered something the end of last season when the bottom leg attachment got ripped off. I took it in at that time for them to order parts. I rarely take the plow off in the winter so I have yet to get it back in. Long ways away. I will post a pic of what I am dealing with tomorrow.

Regardless of all this. Shouldn't the red wire have voltage at the remote connection when bumping the lift. I get voltage from all the other commands. Once again I even tried another remote. Even if the red wire was broke somewhere It should still show voltage directly after the remote when in the lift mode.

16. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

when your facing the back of the blade the lift coil is drivers side top left. the passanger side coil is the lower blade coil. they have the the same port in the valve body. which is why it raised when you bump it. your red and orange wire should be hooked to the top left facing the back of the blade. i think your coil is bad if you are getting power to the red and orange plug. take the coil off the top left and energize it to see if it will magnetize. if it does magnetize then your prolem is in the valve. when you say remote connection what do you mean in the cab near the controller or on the plow at the valve body?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  17. Currinson

Currinson Junior Member

As always thanks guys. I had a strange curtis issue. While plowing I lost all power to the plow, the control pad would blink then go completely out. I was originally thinking it may be the solidnoid and possibly a ground issue to the controllerwesport. I was able to jump across the solinoid and get the plw to function. After replcing the solinoid and wiggling wires to find a short, I lost all power again, tracing the power back to the black wire under the dash, the fuse had no power, after taking apart the front console, where Curtis tied into the ignition for power the connector had opened up and the spade was backing out, i pushed it back together and the fuse had power, the plow was back up and running with full function, not sure if the solinoid was ever an issue however it was 3 years old then I tried to loosen the nuts to clean the connection the solidnoid fell apart. Hope this helps if any one else has the same issue.

Erick