1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Current Draw

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 2dogs2, Jan 11, 2010.

1. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

Just curious if anyone know how many amps the cable style plow motor uses on up or side movement?

Thanks.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

3. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

Thanks!! I would have never even come close to that number, looks like a HO alternator is the next thing I will get..

4. twinman326

Also you might want to think of "dual" batteries

5. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

Well, I borrowed an AMMETER, and tested the plow motor, on a normal quick up, it pulls 80-105 amps.. If I hold the motor as in side to side it will climb to 175amps.

I purchased a 110 amp (at idle) 220 (at 1200 rpm) alternator and installed it. Hopefully, that will cure my woes. I also replaced the big 3 electrical wires with #1 wire, and made sure the frame was nice and shinny before bolting the wire down, I did add noalox to the ground wire top and bottom.

6. twinman326

Good....Let uu know what happens.good luck

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Plow ground should only be connected directly to the pump and to the battery's negative terminal. Never to the trucks frame.

8. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

Mine has been hooked up exactly like that since I got the truck.

Thanks

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't mean its correct that way. :waving:

10. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

Ah, so the diagram I received from Western is incorrect ???xysport

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Assuming the diagram is for the old cable pump? Even Western doesn't ground them via the frame any more, and hasn't in years and years. Because they too learned years ago it isn't ideal.

Yes even the mighty Western engineers learn something as the years pass.

12. twinman326

I was reading some information regarding the conversation.

Cable operated plows are "grounded" two fashions (actually three)

A) Motor ground frame with ground cable back to the "neg" terminal on the battery

B) Motor ground frame with ground cable to the "engine" block (usually that were the ground cable is place from the neg side of the battery)

C) let don't forget the ground wire coming out of the controller and connecting to the small terminal, and grounded through the control cables.

Now that being said, you can use a ground strap from the engine block, to the truck frame, truck frame to the transmission housing for better grounding. It would be improper to ground from the plow motor to the truck frame.

2dogs2 here some info..

Theory of operation

THEROFELECT.jpg

EGB.jpg

THEROFELECT.jpg

EGB.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  13. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

Well, the new High Output alternator works great, did a bunch of plowing with it, no dimming, and when I finished I hooked up the charger to the battery and in under 10 seconds it said the battery was fully charged.:redbounce

Before the new alternator it would take 30-90 minutes before the battery would fully charge.

I'm going to hook up a pulse charger to it once it arrives. I have been very impressed with the results of the first one I bought, so why not get one for the plow truck since it sits most of the year. At least I won't have to worry about sulfation while it sits.

THANKS for the help / ideas