1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Current draw, slow to lower or raise

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by billymac, Dec 22, 2008.

1. billymac

billymac Junior Member

I have an original minute Mount system, cables are great condition and clean, positive goes to battery, all power connections are 4/0 cable. lifting up plow dims the lights and the voltage gauge on the dash goes to 9 volts, sometimes the alternator light on my 00 Silverado comes on. I have dual batteries also, but my alternator I found out is only 105 amps. Im using Exide batteries, I dont seem to like them. I just bought an 145 amp of ebay to try. I tried and loosend the packing nuts on all the cylinders and its still slow and draws too much juice.

billymac

2. kingdog

kingdog Junior Member

I have a similar problem with my MM2 on my 06 Dodge but only one battery. Even switched to the new EZ flow fluid but it didn't help too much. Did the new alternator make any difference?

3. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I have the same problem if the truck is sitting around for long periods, once I start plowing for an hour or so it goes away. 2002 Sierra 2500 with one battery Gel type.

4. kman67rsss

kman67rsss Junior Member
    from NH

I have the same problem on my 96 dodge. I think i need a new battery but i also think that mt pump and or motor needs rebuilding/replacing

5. billymac

billymac Junior Member

Ok here is what I found and did to help out, pulled motor off plow, evacuated all dirty fluid, cleaned the filter, took the motor apart, cleaned windings and emery clothed the comm, reinstalled motor, added Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, replaced the solenoid, replaced the alternator with 145 amp Delphi, installed the ground and positive (+) directly to the battery, believe it or not, still drawing and killing the power.

Oh and rewired the whole plow from a hacked home-made set of 1980's looking 2 harness system to the 3 plug system, had to hand solder all the connections for the 11 pin wiring to and old 8345 light kit. After all this, the problem was.....

Scroll Down.......

THE

1 Year Old Exide BATTERY was junk.

Runs like new with a fresh new battery and a nice charge. Now I see that the plow absorbs most of its power right from the battery, the alternator just helps keeping it charged, but the battery is main source to feed the plow motor, I was kinda running it off the alternator instead, because of a few bad cells in the battery.

Try another battery to test it out on your truck...

billymac

6. T&MSnowMan

T&MSnowMan Member

good to know...I have a 2006 F250 (single battery) (Minute Mount 2)and my lights dim when Im raising the plow...always ticked me off, thought about a bigger alternator, but they are pretty pricey...I think Im gonna put a Optima Yellow Top or Red Top in the truck...more cranking amps and dry cell is alot better then the wet cells. Anybody run Optima in their plow trucks? Let me know how they work for you.

ussmileyflag :drinkup:

7. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I have a 2000 chevy and the exact same thing happens. I think its a batter issue more than alternator issue

8. searay220

searay220 Member

Thanks for sharing what the fix was.Real good to know. I do have a related question about a dual battery setup. I have a 2006 GMC Sierra Quad Cab 6.0L and would like to put a dual battery setup in it. Has anyone done this with this truck? Also don't know what amp alt I have.Would it be worth getting a high output alt?

9. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Dual batteries would help of course. I'm not sure how your truck plows, mines a diesel, and all my plowing is at low rpm, <1200 rpm. Problem is, most alternators push out their juice at a much higher range then I plow with. Perhaps getting an alternator rebuilt to juice more at lower rpm would be the ideal way, without going dual alts.

10. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I just put a Die Hard Platinum in my 06 Sierra CC. It made a huge difference over the under 1 yr old stock battery. 800CCA and 135 min reserve.

11. billymac

billymac Junior Member

Its all about a good battery, if your having similar problems, substitute with a known good battery to test. The 145 amp alternator is much better than my 105 amp also. Real cheap on ebay right now and they are brand new taken off Ambulance vehicle conversions for 1999 an up GM's.

billymac...

12. KubotaJr

KubotaJr Senior Member

Mines doing the same thing. I was told to upgrade to an 1000 amp battery, and i will defiantly do so this weekend.