1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

current draw by plow motor

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by omiimiish, Jan 20, 2012.

1. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

My western plow motor pulls the current down when I operate the controls. The pump moves slow. The post on the pump motor is loose I can not get it tight. Seems logical there is a bad connection?

It is difficult for the alternator to recover on my Chevy after operating the control. I have gone through batteries and not my second alternator is acting up i the last few years. Could a bad connection be causing these problems?

I have wondered if I should run two batteries.

ANy thoughts?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

well i would look into the plow motor first before you do anything else. you know you have a prob there,,work on that first.....do a search on the big 3 that might help out in the chargin dept
  3. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

Any poor connection will wear/strain a battery and inhibit the recovery /charging system. Get that motor taken care of first and for most. Make sure all connections are clean and tight then give it a shot and see what you got after that.
  4. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Make sure it has plow oil in it and not hydraulic oil !
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Lets go back to basics, a bad electrical connection is like a pinch in a garden hose. What happens to the water when you pinch the hose? The water flow slows down right? Well when you have a bad connection in an electrical curcuit it doesn't draw more power, it draws less. If the lug to your plow motor is loose the motor will not get enough current and will run slow but that bad connection will get hot. I have installed lots of plows on vehicles with only one battery and it works but is not ideal. If you are having battery and alternator problems you first need to verify that your plow motor is not drawing too much power. I use a clamp on current probe to measure the actual current. If the plow is OK then you need to check all your alternator and battery connections. Your alternator should be able to run at max output all day without a problem. If they are dying it is because of bad connections. The alternator is an electrical pump and electricity has intertia just like water. If the alt is pumping at full power and there is sudenly no place for the power to go the current is converted to pressure, or voltage, which is a spike. My point is that if you have an intermittent bad connection then the power your alternator is producing, while the plow is loading it, is making voltage spikes. These spikes will kill your alternators and the fact that the power is not getting into your battery is going to destroy them. You need to do some testing, figure out what the plow is actually drawing, look for voltage drops (bad connections) and verify that you alternator and battery are good.
  6. omiimiish

omiimiish Junior Member

thanks for the input, looks like a have at least a couple things to think about here