1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

currant draw on strobes vs halogens

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by dave_dj1, Aug 7, 2011.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I am looking to buy a fullsize lightbar for my truck, the strobe is more money but I think it will be worth it if the draw is substantialy less than a halogen of the same size. (48")
    Both have take down, alley lights and traffic advisors.(take down and alley are halogen on the strobe bar)
    thanks,
    dave

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

manufacturers give the specs on the current draw just look at them.Post the part #'s of the lights

3. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

they don't have them posted on their site. I did email them for the info so we'll wait to see what they say. My guess is that the halogens will draw quite a bit more than the strobes.

4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

yes most likely the halogens will, but still have to look at the specs.

5. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I had a MX7000 that was full halogen, 5 rotators, sweeps, takedowns ect. And it draws alot of amps, then I bought a MX7000 with 1 rotator and 8 strobes and it was less amp draw, but you still know whdn its on....lol
    Now I have a custom built 2100 with 16 led heads that contain 16 leds per head, my takedowns and alleys are still halogens but ill almost not even know its on.... The power of leds are great.

Good luck with finding that info.

6. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I got an email from the company and they say they don't have a spec sheet! He did say the strobe draws about 15 amps, not sure if that is correct or not.
    I agree, the strobe should draw less than the halogen. The price is right so I may buy one and see how I like it. I have a 2010 Ram with a 200 amp alt. so I should be good.
    thanks