1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

curious

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by dodgegmc1213, Jul 31, 2014.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

im curious on how some of you guys price out driveways. I do sealcoating so I know how to price it out that way so I figured I try it the same way with snow, get the sq ft. multiply by whatever you want to charge per sq ft. has anyone tried this method? or do most of you just look at what has to be done and give a price? im just trying to see which way ima go this winter. I don't know if my father will have me on salary or hourly or if he even needs me at all. I figured some pricing out for my lawn customers just for the heck of it and I think its in a good price range. my main customer went to school with my mom so I could ask her what she paid last year so I can get an idea. now im not in business just doing on the side, but I want to be in the range like if I was in business if that makes sense. my truck insurance is under my father, I might be paying for salt I don't know, so the main thing ill be spending money on is gas. also how do you guys price the salting if need to be applied? maybe just $10+ more depending on the size of the driveway?
    thanks

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I just look and work out how much of a PITA it'll be.

3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

First you doing seasonal or per push
    Per push I would say 2-6 inches one price
    6-10 another price over 10 another
    We don't let snow get more than 4-5 inches before we plow so most storms we plow 2 times
    Salt min triple what product cost you need to go to store to buy then put it down and then unload what isn't used
    I'm in rockland I mainly do commercial work but my driveways I get $750 for season up to 10 storms and $250 for walks same up to 10 storms
    Most companies usually get $300-$500 a season and $40-$60 per push average size driveway 2 cars wide about 50 feet long

4. dodgegmc1213

i haven't thought of seasonal, most likely per push. now what is the purpose of having different prices at different inch ranges? I was thinking a set price for everytime I show up? I should probably go higher on the salt I forgot about the shortage and higher prices.

5. dodgegmc1213

heres a picture of my main customers driveway, straight push in to the lawn which is the top red line and then the one front sidewalk. what would you guys charge for plowing with sidewalk and without sidewalk? per push and seasonal?
    thanks

oj.jpg

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You're kidding right? Charge by the square foot????? Figure out how long it will take you, how much you feel you need to make per hour, and do the math. And if you want a seasonal bid, find out how many events you average in your area per year and do that math as well.

7. dodgegmc1213

And whats the problem of doing it that way?? Have you tried it?

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Because if you bid by the square foot, 1,000 square feet can either be done very quickly if there are no obstacles, tore up asphalt etc... Or that same 1,000 square feet can be a nightmare and take you four times longer than the easy thousand square foot drive.

And you also don't understand why you'd have different pricing for different accumulations of snow? The time it takes to plow two inches vs. the time it takes to push ten inches in the same location, and the abuse on your equipment.

You've got three trucks listed with plows in your signature and you don't know the first thing about pricing??? What have you been plowing before this?

9. dodgegmc1213

ive never priced anything for plowing, the dodge is mine the other 2 are my fathers, I work for him year round but this winter might be different so im seeing what I can do on my own. we always do commercial and there always seasonal.

now I posted this to get some answers on what other people do to price driveways out and if anyone tried this method and how it worked, as well as getting info on how to price. so you answered my questions but didn't need to be a dick about it.

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a pretty legit answer along with some acceptable questions. Maybe you should have your dad show you how to price things for your market . You're asking guys all over the country what they'd charge but none of them that have replied are in your area, as far as I know.

11. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

For my area, here's how I would price it.

$35 to plow, $15 to shovel.
    Sand & salt drive and walk, $40.

12. Buswell Forest

from NH

Don't let it get to you. They seldom intend for it to come off as rude as it reads.

If you are in with your mom's friend, have her get 3 quotes from local plow guys. Then you will know the range you should be in. Keep in mind though, just because 3 other guys will do that drive and walk for $25 it does not mean you can do it for $25 and actually turn a reasonable profit.

13. dodgegmc1213

thanks buswell.

I was around the same, I figured $35 to plow also and $10 for shovel. as far as salt Ima rethink it. I don't know what salt goes for in my area yet. the guy we buy it from doesn't have any prices on his site yet. ill have to ask him when I see him next time.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think it would be hard pricing by the square foot. In the driveway you've shown I don't think you could justify charging more if it was 10' longer. Plus you will have a nightmare on your hands.
    I used to do an estate subdivision and I priced them all the same. They took anywhere from 5 to 7 minutes and I didn't really care. I had 35 places and was in and out in roughly 4 hours.
    Around here that driveway would go for 400-450 for the season. We average 14-18 pushes plus you have to come back for the street plow.

15. dodgegmc1213

thanks cet.

so lets say I price that driveway for $35 to plow per push, no walk, no salt, and they want seasonal. do I take that $35 and multiply by lets say 10 storms so its $350? but that only pays for 1 push in a storm right? so do I add another $350 so it equals 2 pushes a storm? but if I end up doing more than 2 pushes in a storm ill most likely be wasting money

16. Buswell Forest

from NH

You take the 10 year average for snow events, including depth and average inches per storm, and do the math from there. If you are smooth, you can add a cap on how many pushes, or an additional fee after "x" amount of snowfall in a storm.

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You need to know how many times on average you will go out in a year. Maybe add 2 times to that # and give them the price.

How many storms would you get where you have to plow it twice. I would go twice if it was going to be over 6" and that only happens a couple of times a year here.

18. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Ask grand view to explain his method to you

19. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I'm 20 minutes south
    We plow average 6 times a year with most storms under 6 inches and last few years 1 over 10 inches
    I go out at 2 inches trigger and I charge extra if I have to come back because the town plows driveway back in or blocks mail box $1000 a season for 10 storms under 10 inches has worked well for me
    How people charge $400 a season or per push is beyond me
    I spend about $10k getting salters and plows and trucks ready for winter and the life plowing takes off a truck it really is blood money and you need to charge for if
    I use to do 70 house one truck at $300 a season around 15 years ago would take 7 hours now 20 house at $1000 done in 3 hours then he goes and helps commerical accounts
    Sell your self on quality and charge more than others do less and make more forget rushing around for a few bucks
    Try selling seasonal with monthly payment plans you are insurance that people can get to work and get home from work they make money and so should you

20. dodgegmc1213

ponyboy, how did you do this past crazy ass winter?