1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curious what you guys do dealing with.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fisher II, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

No salt zones due to watershed area. The town im dealing with is very difficult to deal with. My contract with commercial lot is on its third year,and up for renewal. In my contract I was told no salt! so we used sand after plowing. This is a large church 3 acres. Now as you can guess there has been slipping issues, and some people pissed....I get it, but hands are tied as to what we can do. Im researching liquid deicers to try to pre treat before storms but im not sure that the liquid deicers are accepted in watershed areas?! Funny thing is the town spreads salt on the roads all around the church. :dizzy:
  2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Beet Juice?
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

So what happens if you spread salt?
  4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Azz chewing...
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

That's my guess but then take it to city hall, asking why they are spreading it.
  6. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Don't you know...?
    Cities, townships, county, state are all exempt....
  7. 2ExploreSnow

2ExploreSnow Member

Urea is what some people have used at times. But that is generally for smaller areas.

I'm guessing that was considered...
  8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Get three drops of beet juice on your boot, get in your truck and turn the heat on and drive down the road - smells delicious.

Better yet, dip your finger in some, let it dry and see how easy it comes off.

Beet Juice - no way, at a church of all places.

Most liquid solutions will contain chlorides of some form or another, the same chit the tree huggers have heartattacks about.
  9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

urea is nitrogen...no good in water shed areas.....
  10. Billious

Billious Member

Got any cheese factories around? In Wisco, we're known to use cheese brine to pre-treat the streets from time to time...
  11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

We are all exempt until something happens.
  12. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I guess your best option is to approach the city or watershed dist and ask what they recommend. If they say sand then ask why they are allowed to salt and your not. if you do not like the answer take it to the state level and see what they have to say. Tell them you have assumed the slip and fall liability( I assume you have) and do not want a claim.
  13. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I have several accounts that are commercial, and I don't use any salt. I either make them do the salting, or I spread sand when necessary. Sand is biodegradable, and not caustic. It creates traction, and can be reused if you really wanted to go through the trouble.

Yes, you need to use more of it, and more often, but make them pay for it, stipulating the regulations of the township. You could potentially make more money this way, as you'll need to be back for more visits and applications.

EDIT: I reread your first post and it said you used sand.....
  14. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Sand biodegradable??

Damn tree huggers got people all twisted around.
  15. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

What about calcium?