1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curious to see: What are you paying v. what you charge?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JohnnyU, Feb 17, 2007.

1. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'm curious to see how the demographics of this topic turn out. I'm primarily interested in bagged material, how much are you paying per bag? I'm also curious to see how much you charge/make per bag. I realize that as with the price of plowing/removal/equipment time, this may fluctuate greatly by region.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

$17.00 per 50lb bag applied (rock salt) is about top dollar around here. Most people in this area know what a bag of salt cost's so they can usually figure out what it's costing them to have it applied verses them doing it themselves with a $15.00 broadcast spreader that they bought at Home Cheepo.

3. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

we dont spread bagged material, but 1 yard of salt/sand mix is $67...we charge about $50 to do a 50 foot drive, which only uses about 1/6 of a YD, maybe less

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I've been getting about $15 per 50# bag. From what I can tell, it seems like that is about all you can get. Bulk salt being cheaper initially, lends itself to a higher profit margin. At least that's my thought thus far, assuming that you already have the equipment (a dump with hydros).

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

really it comes down to knowing what your costs are and charging enough to make a profit to include repairs/replacement/business expenses. If you use the generally excepted figure of $120 per hour, and you know your on-site 30 minutes and use an average of 10 bags at $4 per bag(made up cost of what you pay) then $100 is your min charge or $10 per bag.

Does this make sense?

The cost per bag can vary depending on the amount of time you are on-site. This is why I just charge the same price per bag for everyone ($6) and add a service charge for my time.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  6. mickman

mickman Senior Member

$35 / per 100 #'s bagged salt.

7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I price my pushing reasonable but I stick it to 'em on salt... I don't tell them its rock salt I say its a de-icer application and I charge 50 cents a pound ($25 for a 50 lb bag)... I'm not lying by saying that, just being careful of my wording. If they ask what I use I tell them its rock salt. No one has complained about the price thus far. I don't go light on it unless I'm low on salt or it doesn't need much. I buy it by the skid (50 bags per skid) and pay about $4.50 a bag... I just got this Vbox and am in the process of rebuilding it, looks like we're done plowing and salting for the year, been a good winter to us here but temps are supposed to go way up real soon and turn to rain and thunderstorms so it looks like I won't get into bulk salt 'til next season...