1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curious about the light I had I stalled

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by pongow26, Dec 4, 2010.

1. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I brought my truck to a local installer and I had 4 hideaways put in but they misunderstood me when I told them where to put in the rear Strobes.(funny thing it was a dealership and they liked it so much there doing it to there plow trucks lol) I guess i really don't mind them being in the tail lights vs the reverse lights. I am curious is it really a major difference between the two? I mainly need them for backing out on to busy roads. I only plow one small commercial and the rest are residential. I am concerned that if I switch it to the reverse light I will have an open hole in my tail light.
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

You could just buy new tail lights, there only like 50$ a piece (at least for Ford F250.) Are you just going to be using your hide aways when plowing or do you have a beacon on top (if you don't, you should have something whether it be a beacon or strobe or a lightbar) a strobe in your tail light is not going to be as bright as reverse light. As for your question about leaving a hole, yea you could do it, but I personally wouldn't because I would know about it and that would drive me crazy! Also you risk getting moisture in there.
  3. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I have a Whelen guardian on top

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I saw someone mention before that you could cut out a circle from say a milk jug or some other plastic product and use some silicone to cover the hole. I would not leave it open as the moisture will for sure ruin the whole light over time.
  5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I don't know about your area, but where I live, law enforcement takes a dim view of any "rear facing / flashing white lights." (That would include HAW's in the reverse light slots.) Several of my friends have installed their HAW's in the red lens portion of their tail lights for that reason. They're certainly not as bright there, but they're more legal.
  6. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

that was me...
  7. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

the reverse lights are too small and do not have enough clearance for hide a ways strobes
  8. Indy

Indy Senior Member

space and heat are a big issue so the likely went into the larges area. However, someone mentioned that you will get in trouble with law infourcement if you have WHITE flashing, I have never heard of that, however (at least in my state) it is illegal for front or rear flashing red or blue, amber is OK, no mention of white.
    if you choose to change locations as cheap as possible, use epoxy and overlap the hole with flexable plastic, let it dry and the install a coating of silicone and it will be more sealed than the rest of the light.

Good luck
  9. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Maybe try a wine making supply store, and pick up some rubber bottle stoppers...or just buy 2 bottles of wine and at least enjoy yourself while you do the job.:nod::drinkup:
  10. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Not to hijack the thread, but what are HAWs?
  11. schmol

schmol Senior Member

Thumbs Up
  12. JTK324

JTK324 Senior Member

I have them in my brake light and they are still as bright as ever