1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curiosity...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Tracy89, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

What would happen if i stuck a 9 foot blade to the front of my gmc 1500? It will fit meaning i have the right pushbeam and everything else that i need....I just cant come across an 8 foot blade at the moment.....What am i facing if i do this....Will thing break or will things just wear out faster?

2. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

It would work for an unspecified amount of time .

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If you up graded your torsion bars and rear springs and put a set of timberns, gussets, and ballast on the truck it will be fine.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

what about brakes ? thay will still be small :eek:

5. sweetk30

perfect. what more could you realy say with out a big story. Thumbs Up

6. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have cranked my torsion bars just about all the way. Im not looking to use the plow for a long period of time i.e. the rest of this season. I think i might give it a shot and see what happens. Two chances right? Unless someone has an 8 foot blade they are interested in parting with......I dont think that i would have much trouble with the braking because i drive slow as it is. Im thinkking that the only trouble that i might run into is with the suspension. How hard is it to change the torsion bars? could i put a solid front axle in it?

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

around here theres plenty of used 8 ft blades. just check a used car dealership cause they usually take them off before selling trucks. also check craigslist

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I've seen quite a few in the "for sale" section recently

9. sweetk30

swapin bars is easy IF not rusted in tothe keys and lower a-arm sockets.

swapin in a solid front axle the right way gets you a few problems for plowin.

the kits get 3" lift then req min 4" lift springs to clear pumkin to crossmember/frame rails.this = 7" lift not bad for show trucks or mud trucks.

then find the solid axle that fits your needs can run up to 1300 bucks used .

all the brackets on there forthe swap take the space of the plow brackets.

and steering needs upgraded.

and ball park solid axle swap right 3grand or so.

just wouldnt be a viable plow truck. thats my other hobby 4x4 mud/snow/trails/recovery. Thumbs Up

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I think if he isn't driving 900 miles a hours and is just in town running around he will be fine. I wouldn't run a 9 foot on it though without upgrading the suspension.

11. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

Cool. I definately apreciate the advice from everyone. Think im going to just stick with finding an 8 foot plow. Found a couple the other day the only trouble is this time of year everyone wants crazy money for them. Figure it out somehow i suppose......Thanks.

12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

No matter if you crank up the t-bars, install timbrens, etc. You still will be over weight on the front axle. There is a reason manufacturers don't recommend 8' plows or larger on 1/2 ton trucks, its called liability. Senario, you break something because your overloaded and hit another vehicle, the dot will have a field day with you.

13. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

Bah, I have a MM1 7.5 RD blade only (maybe I would poke around the snow for an Aframe for you..)

Im heading up to ME sometime in the near future to go sleddddddddding..

Going up to GF's house near Sebago. Anywhere near you bud? I might be able to stick it in my truck somehow..

My gas both ways would be nice =)

14. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

sebago is about 30 to 40 minuts away from me. I have a 7.5 blade and an a frame from a 9 foot but they just dont seem to fit right and the plow doesnt angle right. Im not sure what my issue is at the moment. im not against fabricating but would really rather have bolt on stuff. are angle rams from a 7.5 shorter than rams from a 9?

15. sweetk30

the spit is 7ft6" down and 8ft-up to 9ft non mc style for the older stuff.

thats prob why your stuff wont mix and match.

16. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

you have a 9 foot mm1 tracey?

17. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

I bought a nine foot setupd because the pushplates pump and etc. fit my truck. the truck side stuff is speedcast and the blade is a nine foot minute mount blade that fits the speedcast push beam. thought that it would be an easy swap by taking the a frame off of the nine footer and putting it on the seven and a half. it fits and it works but the blade only angle six inches either way from when its straight. not sure what is going on yet...