1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curb Ramp?!?!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ResslerLawnCare, Nov 12, 2015.

1. ResslerLawnCare

ResslerLawnCare Junior Member
    from Minot

Has anyone came up with something that would allow a plow to ride up and over a curb to prevent it from being damaged? Or a ramp that would prevent the Sub Frame of the plow from bouncing off the curb when backing down from the area that you pile the snow in?

Typically, I create an "Ice Ramp" by packing snow at the area of the curb that I want to drive up and over. This is great after the first few storms but my Plow and Truck take a beating for the first few storms.

Thanks in advance!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How about stop at the curb.Why take money off the table by not selling loader service.

3. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Why are you trying to plow up and over the curb? Sounds like you are asking for damage.

4. ResslerLawnCare

ResslerLawnCare Junior Member
    from Minot

I currently do not own a loader or skidder. As for why I go up and over, with the amount of snow I get in North Dakota, we have to make piles of snow away from the curb. Also with the wind that blows, we have a lot of drifting if I were to leave it at the curb.

I do understand that damage concern, which is why I was asking about ways to protect.

If I need to, I will have to purchase a skidder. I have issues with purchasing one because my current business model does not have a plan for summer use of a skidder. We are a lawn care company during the summer months. We do take on very small landscaping projects but do not require a skidder use.

I have a feeling that this thread is going to just bash why I am going over the curb but I am sure that I am not the only one. I am just the one naive enough to ask the question.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Where's that crusty old curb hopping, frozen dog crap flinging dood from Minnesota when you need him...........

6. JimMarshall

from NW PA

If you need to push past the curb do it but why are you trying to ramp? Push to the curb, stop, lift your plow over the curb, and continue. Otherwise you are just asking for damage. Not only to your truck but to your customers curbs, grass, landscaping, etc. if you think you would have limited use for a skid steer, consider renting or leasing one for the winter, or sub it out to another company.

7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

If you are considering a skid, I would try to go that route. I am sure once you have it you would begin finding uses for it. That would allow you to grow your summer business (if thats something you're interested in doing) or you could look at renting it out to someone else.

Good luck!

8. grandview

You talking about the Green Bay lovin guy named Roy?

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:waving:
    Curb hopper
    :popcorn:

Why can't you lift the plow as you approach the curb?
    Then when your done clean up along the curb.

Why buy a loader or a skid to do a job 3-4 months of the year.
    When you can earn money with the tools you have.
    You just need to know how to use the tools you have , I guess?..

Soo maney one dimensional thinkers, I guess that's the difference between a driver and a operator?

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Dp..................

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  11. JimMarshall

from NW PA

If you take 3 seconds to stop at the curb before you lift you don't even have to clean up.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Sure if it's a not time thing.
    Other wise getting that stagnate pile so snow moving again is hard on clutches.

Some times I'll come Up to them going slow and as I feel her hit the curb lift the plow & scrap up and over it, but that can be hard on old or cheep curbing.
    Running the curb to the end then one push to clean up.

Effecenitaly and time...
    Ya got to save time, I can't stay there and spoon the snow over a curb.
    I've got cold beer at home wating.

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We push everything up and over the curb. I get pissed off when people stop a foot from the curb and leave it there

14. grandview

So you don't like me?

15. Mark Oomkes

Loaders are for stacking over curbs.............

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I'm sure they can do it..

I've only need a "loader""skid"3 times in 34years.

Some times the bigger your are the more full of yourself you are?....

Needs and wants and just becuse

17. Mark Oomkes

No, I'm pretty regular, so not really full of myself.

Maybe you are because you don't think they're necessary.

18. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We don't have loaders at every lot. Only a few warrant a skid. Big one had loaders. One site we had 3 loaders running. When we were done we had two rock trucks to move piles to a dumping site on site.

But yeah, If I have to push your piles up over the curb; it'll be the last time you do that :lol:

19. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

We're required to push it over the curb. I don't see a need for a ramp or whatever you're talking about though. Push it to the curb, when you feel the curb lift your blade and push it over. What's the big deal?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  20. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Not sure how well it would work but every year I help run an event with limited parking so the staff need to park up on the back lawn. One of the guys a few years ago made a custom ramp from a sheet of plywood with a 45 cut on the street side and used 2x4s to lift up to the curb side. It comes out about 3 feet and makes a nice smooth transition. Works great for us in the summer but not sure about pushing snow over it.