1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

curb guards

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ratherbfishin, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

does anybody use curb guards on their plows? opinions? any negatives to them?

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

There was a thread started about month about guards you might might look in the history

3. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

not much info on other threads.I probably should also say I was curious to their use on a extreme V.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

No negatives as far as I'm concerned, saves the plow when running curbs and keeps the cutting edge wearing square/flat you don't get the smile

5. Antlerart06

Month ago was big thread about them I run wear bars on my V plow plus I run a 5/8x 8'' cutting edge all my years plowing I never needed curb guards I know some people needs them they like to bang the curbs alot and I have them on few my other trucks them guys dont plow like I do

6. doyles

doyles Member

for an extreme v where do you get the wear bars and where did you get a 5/8 x 8 cutting edge
    how does that edge work for you because fisher says there 8.6 comes with a 3/8 by 6 and the 9.6 only comes with a 1/2 by 6
    how mutch life do you get out of the 5/8 cutting edge
    thanks

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We run them on our XV's, I was told they are from Meyer's but they are heavy duty as hell. On our 06 XV I think it's helped prolonging the cutting edge very much, as I said in another post, the plow has about 1100 hours on it and just started on cutting edge #3 this season and the curb guards are still not even worn half way. I am actually looking to sell the new pair I have on the new XV, I want to try the Fisher wings and can't use guards. I guess the only downfall I've seen is when you ride along a curb a small amount of snow falls back against them but I'll take that trade off any day. A friend of mine has the same plow and the left side of his plow is chunks missing and is worn into the mold board from running curbs and no guards. I paid 156.00 per side for mine.

8. Antlerart06

I make my own Cutting edge and wear bars
    I use 5/8 x8 The wear of it is about same as 1/2x6 but at Half the price of OEM edges
    My 9.6 Vplow is about ready for a new one I put the one I have on it now was in fall of 2010
    This season only push 3 events all been wet heavy snow during wet snows cutting edge wears faster
    Here is one I made for my 8.6 straight plow kinda show you what new one looks like
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=129904&highlight=homemade+cutting+edge
    Build my Vplow same way

9. doyles

doyles Member

that looks good and thank you for the idea