1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curb guard

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Leon1778, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Leon1778

Leon1778 Junior Member

Can someone let me know how western curb guard works in ultramound? thx
    :mechanic:

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The curb guard is just a big chunk of cast steel that bolts on the front side of the cutting edge on both extremes. You remove the two outer most carriage bolts on each end of the cutting edge and put the curb guard on there with two longer bolts, provided with kit. The guard actually sticks out a few inches from the end of the cutting edge so it strikes the curb protecting the moldboard from damage. I have installed lots on straight blades but can't remember if you can put them on Vs. I know you can't on Wide-outs.

3. Leon1778

Leon1778 Junior Member

Thanks for the info, but did you happy with that? just curious if that really works, please let me know how was your experience with that!!! thx.

4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I put Boss curb guards on mine. I had to torch new holes in the curb guard for the bolts but I'm more impressed with those than western's version.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I think Boss guards are made from bent plate while Westerns are cast and much bulkier. The thin ones would push more snow over the curb.
    I have never had then since I ran a wide-out but from the damage I see on plows that don't have them I think they are great.

6. I'm thinking about putting them on my two Boss plows as well.

7. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

It may be bent steel, but they are hardened, and also doubled up with another plate welded along the outside edge. They are so hard I couldn't even get a pilot hole started with any type of drill bit for the new mounting holes.

Have seen very minimal amount of wear.