1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Curb Guard Input

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Leo the Landscaper, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Leo the Landscaper

Leo the Landscaper Junior Member

Please "weigh in" on this theory I have regarding some plow damage...

I have mostly 8.5' Western Pro Plus plows with ultra mount and one remnant Meyer 8' ezmount. All of the plows are steel and we run Winter Plow Extenders on both sides. I have notice that as the plows age they all seem to be bent on the passenger side about at the 1/3 mark from the passenger edge of the plow blade.

These plows work in a municipal campus setting and do a fair amount of roadway plowing. I am beginning to wonder if the Extender curb guard is actually catching the inside of the curb faced storm sewers and over time bending the plow.

The curb guard by design extends past the edge of the moldboard. However due to their height when running the curb they can slip into the sewer opening and trip on the leading edge of the sewer. Just to help you visualize what I am describing... The curb guard is ridding against the curb until a sewer opening at which point the plow guard's height allows it to slip in the opening and the moldboard now rides along the steel face of the sewer(same contour as the curb). The curb guard then hits the leading edge of the sewer opening which is hardened steel. I hope this makes sense. I have reenacted the process slowly and it does happen like I am describing just figured if it was causing damage I wouldn't be the only one?? I hope this makes sense.

If I have time I will post some picture of my description tomorrow night.

Thanks!!