1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

curb damage

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rob_cook2001, Dec 26, 2012.

1. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Well I finally did something I thought I would never do. Was helping a friend do a little cleanup on yesterday storm. Using my bucket to clean up a little packed snow and hit a curb wide open in low gear(6-7mph). Like a moron I wasn't wearing my belt to my head hit the door and it still hurts. Just wondering what all I should look at ok the machine for damage(s650)??? Some how when I hit the parking break came on? I shut looked for damage, turned the brake off and used it for another hour and all seams ok. I am just paranoid I guess... will never use a bucket for clearing snow again Haha

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Not much you can do about it now but... 1. make sure all 4 tires have equal air pressure 2. pull onto a level surface and see if the cutting edge of the bucket comes down square to the ground 3. slowly lower the boom and see if one side comes down on the stops first

3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

The brake probably came on because your butt came off the seat. I know thats what my gehl did. It should be fine, i did it twice(once my first time in the machine and the second after 43 hours straight in it). You wont forget that curb or the greasy face print on the glass lol.

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

You sound like you have experience in smoking curbs full tilt boogie.

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Those types of things would never happen to a Professional. Hence they happen to me and you:waving:

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Sorry to hear that Rob. Maybe your hand came up and engaged the parking brake when you hit. Hope it all checks out, I'm sure it's ok. I never wear the seat belt:blush2: I know I should. Knock on wood!

7. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

cutting edge intact? any blown hydro hoses ? any teeth left . your teeth :laughing:

8. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Been there, done that. Like the other guys said, make sure the bucket comes down square. It's a hard hit but these machines are built pretty stout.

I did it once in an S250 and got knocked out. That was humorous. I did it in a backhoe and was tossed around the cab. Last year I did it in a loader while moving a pile. I didn't even feel that one but I knew something was wrong when I kept seeing chunks of curb coming out of the bucket.

Needless to say, I'm pretty good at repairing curbs now.

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Keep an eye on the packing nuts on the lift cylinders. If they start getting oblonged then you probably have a bent piston.

10. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing:

11. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

I know where my curbs are so it's usually just a love tap, but hitting one at speed yea that would suck mine are all granite lol