1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cummins vs Powerstroke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by juggernaut, Feb 16, 2004.

PSD or Cummins

1. Powerstroke 7.3

105 vote(s)
  2. Cummins 5.9

88 vote(s)
  1. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

I want to get everyones (educated) opinion about the Powestroke Diesel versus the Cummins. I really dont want to start a flame war, I just want to talk about the strength/weakness/differences about these two great engines. Also for the love of pete the PSD is a medium duty engine do not try and say it is a light duty and the cummins is medium thats not the case and is wrong, they are both mediums. Also has anyone heard of piston cooling jets in the cummins? I know the PSD has this feature but was never sure about the Bseries. So, your thoughts?
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I have a powerstroke and wouldn't own anything else. Although the Cummins is one hell of an engine also.:nod:
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I drive powerstroke ambulances all week long. The engines just keep on going. I have heard of many going over 300k miles. We don't have any of the new engines. I think they are waiting to see if the bugs will be worked out of them.
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Mine is a 99 with the 7.3 and only 57,000mi. Just getting broke in.:nod:
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I think what it really comes down to, is what truck the engine is in. That is where the brand loyalty comes in. Both these engines are great, and they both have proven track records. I got a PSD because of Ford's truck reputation over Dodge's truck reputation. I have heard before though, if one were to set up a PSD and a Cummins side by side and run them as generators that the Cummins would outlast the PSD. Who knows:rolleyes:
  6. JMR

JMR Senior Member

If have no preference between the two since I'm a GM man and my next truck will have a Duramax. But I saw a great bumper sticker this morning on a Dodge Dually. It said "I'd rather be Cummin than Strokin" LOL
  7. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

MickiRig are you saying they go 300,000 miles in ambulances?? Holy hell I have heard those things being driven around and they dont go easy on them if you know what I mean (you can hear that diesel just screamin' in 'em). That certainly says something about the powerstroke.
  8. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

The thing that always kind of bugged me was that rod comparison between Cummins & PSD. Im sure some of you may have seen that before. But here it is

9. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I love my PSD's, but don't get me wrong the Cummins is a great motor. I just look at it as the Ford with the PSD as being more of a total package than the Dodge with a Cummins. Friends and family of mine have had lots of trouble with Dodge trannys, and for what my trucks go thought I just won't trust them. Plus the fact that I would get crucified by my father and a couple of cousins if I were to so up driving a Dodge. I think that I will stick with my Fords
  10. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

I would have to go with the PSD because i have a 95 E 350 and that suckers got 400,130 miles on it no rebuilds and runs great. It still goes out and gets 20.8 to the gallon too.
  11. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

Wow thats really impressive!!
  12. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Just the motor - I like the Cummins better. Beefy internals and almost flawless performance. My father's '95 PSD (first year) has had a few issues. Turbo went twice, starter, glow plugs, water pump, oil pan, injection pump. The rest of the truck has been great, and when running, the PSD is a beast!

Trucks are different. I'd buy a Ford over a Dodge any day of the week. Its too bad we can't choose the motors for our trucks.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  13. rainair

rainair Senior Member

the powerstroke is just an engine made for ford by navastar IH
  14. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I'd rather be stroked than rammed.....

If you put this poll in the Dodge trucks forum then the Cummins would win but here in the Ford Truck Discussion the PSD will win. It is all about the truck that the engine is in. I personally would like a Cummins in a Ford but since the Ford has a IH engine that is what I run. I would rather have a CAT or Cummins inline 6 anyday instead of a IH V8 but you take what they offer. I had bad luck with a Dodge about 14 years ago and will not buy another one.
  15. Wesley's Lawn

I know you use to be able to get the Cat in the 450 and 550 a lil while back i thought i heard something about them coming out and doing it again?
  16. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

Pretty sure there was never a cat in 450, 550. They do offer, I believe, the 3126 in the 650 750 though.
  17. Wesley's Lawn

No i swear i remeber being on there site and build your own truck and there was a cat motor option for the 450 and 550. But this was a few years ago.
  18. wolfmanah

wolfmanah Junior Member

We have 8 Ford mini buses with the 7.3psd plus my truck with one too, we also have 2 international buses with the 444. And we have less problems with all them compared to our one bus with a 5.9isb cummins. It is possible we had just got a lemon motor, but who knows.

On the plus side for the 5.9 it is a very simple motor to work on.
  19. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Yep, juggernaut is right. Ford offers a Cat in the F-650 and 750 but not in the F-450 and 550. The only diesel that was offered in the 450/550 was the 7.3L.
  20. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

cummins and cat in a ford

i read in an offroad magazine that ford may be getting another engine for their trucks and some of the companies that they are looking at are cummins and cat. althought a cummins would be nice ive had no problame with my psd with the exception of a slow oil leak from the valve covers that i recently saw. as for the cat ive been told by people (but we all know when people dont know what their talking about they tend to make stuff up) that cat is a great heavy duty engine and that the engines that they would be putting in a pickup truck arent good at high rpm's and that they would burn up quick