1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cummins turbo help???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by chucksorce, Mar 23, 2013.

1. chucksorce

chucksorce Junior Member
    from 07866

Hey guys need some help here, i have a 06 ram 2500 w cummins. Im on my 2nd turbo with the truck, i first started having a engine code (overboost condition) at about 35,000 miles which ended up in my first turbo replacment, now at 59,000 miles my truck just started giving the same code. What could be going on here i dont tow with the truck or have any power adders on the truck, its stock except a banks cat back exhuast system and a set of guages (turbo and pyro). I dont beat on my truck and i dont think 2 turbos in 60,000 miles is normal, any thoughts??

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

How's it running? Normal or what? I had an overboost code on my 2004 Ram and it was because the waste gate was rusting up and freezing shut, thus causing an overboost condition. The engine would de-fuel itself at high rpms and have no guts. I traded the truck in at 145k miles with the original turbo. Get under there with a 5/8" open ended wrench and put it on the waste gate lever and see if it moves.

4. chucksorce

chucksorce Junior Member
    from 07866

Is the waste gate accessible on that truck, I thought it was all internal?

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It's underneath the turbo. Lay underneath the truck and you can grab it. Tough to see from up top.

6. chucksorce

chucksorce Junior Member
    from 07866

I got under and found the linkage, it was tight so I was able to grab the arm with a pair of vice grips. I hit it with some pb blaster and worked it back and fourth freeing it up, I followed it up with a healthy shot of fluid film. Took the truck out and beat on it a little, think we got it. Thanks for your help..

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ya, it should move by your hand only (no tools). That was likely your problem but you'll have to stay on top of it from now on. It'll stick again if you don't work it enough for it to move on it's own. This can be a result of using these trucks as grocery getters.

8. chucksorce

chucksorce Junior Member
    from 07866

Yea, I only use my truck once a week

9. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Glad you found the problem, I will keep an eye on mine...

10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Nice work guys! That was a quick fix for what could lead to a major problem. A+ for the day

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

If you really want to fix it... Remove the turbo and put it on the bench. Then take out the waste gate pin and clean it up. Then anti-sieze it well. There is no lube from the factory and eventually they do what they did to us. The guys who haul Bobcats every day with them don't run into this as much because the waste gate gets exercised routinely. These engines were made for work and that was part of my reasoning for trading it on my gasser F250.