1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cummins Swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NBI Lawn, Feb 8, 2012.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at doing a Cummins swap into an older chev...'95ish. I found a 95 ccdrw 6.5ltr that the guy claims is perfect and has only seen one winter. He does want a premium price for it though. The other truck is a '90 xcdrw 454.

Has anyone on here done this swap and if so does it matter if it was a diesel to begin with? Where do you get adaptors for the trans as I would like to run the 4l80...or is it easier to find a cummins with a trans and t-case and dump it all in?

* 5.9 12 valve.
  2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Go on YouTube and ask TheDieselStop..he does swaps into SFA GMs but he could point you in the direction you want adapter-wise
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think swapping in place of a 6.5 will be easier then a big block due to some of the electronics but I'm no expert.

My dodge will be for sale shortly if your still interested.
  4. NBI Lawn

Yes I am interested. Keep me informed. PM me what you are thinking about it. I would take it as is,
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If you're willing to put the time, effort, and money into doing the Cummins swap, I would do that over the 6.5....let us know how it goes ;)
  6. NBI Lawn

With a season like this I sure as heII have the time :rolleyes:. I am fairly sure that the 12 valve Cummins is the "best" small diesel engine made. I know it isn't an original idea...just wondering who has done it.
  7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I hear ya on the lousy weather this season, I guess the saying in my thread actually came true for once. I would love to swap a cummins into my 97...sure can't justify it though!
  8. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a friend who put a 12 Valve from a 93 Cummins into a 96 K-2500 Chevy he used the the 5 speed Dodge manual transmission instead of the Chevy transmission, that truck was a 6.5 Diesel that had blown up. I don't think it was all the hard for him to do, but then again he is a mechanic so it maybe just looked easy
  10. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

11. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

electronics dont matter 12v's run with 1 wire they are all mechanical except for the fuel cutoff solinoid
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Putting a cummins in a ford is starting to be pretty common. Some guys are using the 6.7 Cummins with an Allison 1000 behind them.

Check out destroked.com, their the experts in this game.
  13. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Lots of people on Youtube witht this swap
  14. NBI Lawn

That truck looks pretty cool but if I saw it driving down the road I would pass it as fast I could :eek:. Looks like he "welded" some of that with a sodering iron. I am curious about the core support as well. He just put the radiator in the box do to clearance issues... I wonder how much has to cut up in order to fit the radiator and intercooler in? I have heard people are using the stock 6.5 radiator over the factory dodge unit.
  15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Lots of 12Valve swaps over at competitiondiesel.com. As stated and you obviously know, the 12V is easy to get running, its just the other electronics you'd need to figure out (guage cluster). Also, I'd assume the 6.5 would have a vacum pump or hydro boost for the brakes if not that would be something to figure out as well.

Other than that, I doubt it would be that hard if you can weld in some motor mounts.
  16. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

if you can settle for a stick,you would be better off finding a 6.5 maual because they use a nv4500.
  17. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Another place for some research is www.cumminsforum.com. Lot of guys over there doing conversions. Don't think it's a real big deal if you take your time.
  18. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member