1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cummins Question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by turfquip, Oct 21, 2003.

1. turfquip

turfquip PlowSite.com Veteran

Cummins Question
    I just bought a '96 FL 60 w/Cummins B 210 HP. 5 speed.

To make any time on the expressway, the motor needs to be turning around 3000 RPM. I am new to this diesel stuff. Will this hurt the engine to keep it wound out like that? There's no red line on the tach so I figure I better ask you guys :)
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

That is a little high for good fuel economy,but it won't hurt it.The Cummins B series is rated for up to 3800 rpm or something like that.

You can't overrev them anyways,unless you downshift incorrectly.They have an internal govenor,and will defuel at max RPM.If the engine will rev that high,it must be OK.
  3. turfquip

turfquip PlowSite.com Veteran

Thank you. I appreciate the quick response. Good news too. I was afraid the thing might fall apart if I mashed too hard :)
  4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Mash it too Hard?????????????? Don't Let Johhny D hear you say that !!!!:D

all you have to do is a few minor modifications.

Go to the Snowplowing discussion board and look for Follow up Taconic 2003 BBQ. Then look for a wicked Ram Diesel doing burnouts.

You'll see what I mean:eek:
  5. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Put governor kit on. I have the 3000 kit, but they do have a 4000 one and you would need to change the valve springs.
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't think he needs a GSK,or govenor kit.The Cummins in the FL is probably governed higher already,if he's turning 3000 on the highway.