1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cummins Powered FORD.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by CSaley, Sep 7, 2012.

1. CSaley

CSaley Junior Member

My latest project I thought Id share. 2003 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab Short Bed. Original powered by a 6.0 and 5r110 auto.

I swapped in a 12 valve cummins with a 175hp p7100 and an nv4500 5 speed manual trans. The truck still retains all the creature comforts such as power adjustable pedals, air conditioning, sun roof, heated seats, electric shift 4x4, etc etc. From inside the cab you would never know it had a real motor under the hood until you turned the key :laughing:

Not a terrible swap but the saying "the last 10% of the work takes 90% of the time" is definitely 100% accurate.. I had a goal of building a truck that I could get in at any time and drive any where I wanted, efficiently, while maximizing the benefits of the Cummins. Needless to say, I average about 21-22.5 mpg on a tank and it tows just as well as the 350hp 6.0 screamer. I haven't touched the IP at all, so you wont be going anywhere in a super hurry, but I cant complain with the results i'm seeing..

Im already itching to build another with a built auto and a common rail... I talked myself into putting this one up for sale this week :dizzy: my shoulder doesn't appreciate the shifting after surgery.

2. CSaley

CSaley Junior Member

3. CSaley

CSaley Junior Member

4 image rule.... REALLY

4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

That's nice! Did you use the destroked kit?
  5. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Sweet Fummins !

I'd love a truck like that,

What did the retrofit cost you? if you don't mind me asking. At some time in the future, I would love to do exactly what you did.... or buy your truck from you....:laughing:

you now own the best of all worlds
  6. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

saw this on CL yesterday. Good luck with the sale!
  7. CSaley

CSaley Junior Member

I used Destroked's motor mount set as well as their tach kit. Everything else I fabricated.

I stopped adding up receipts after about $8,000.... I'd bet its right around $10-11k. But then again I didn't do it on a budget. Had the trans rebuilt, went through the motor, new clutch, Airdog fuel system, blah blah. Im sure it could have been done much cheaper...

Thanks! I already have the next donor lined up!
  8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Well, I'm impressed...What would you say were your biggest challenges w/ the swap? Also, what is involved or affected w/ computer function?
  9. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Interesting & informative link...I'll be adding it to my wish list as well, thanks Dogplow.
  11. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Good looking swap. And you are so right about the last little bit of the project being a pita.
  12. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

That is a sweet truck! I saw the beginning of your build thread over on compd but never saw many updates. It turned out great!

Out of curiosity what are you asking for it?
  13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

...For some reason I knew you were going to ask him that.
  14. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

From the pix and the work done if I had the $20k, I'd buy it from you right now..... alas, I'm just a poor working slob who doesn't have $20 ...

Maybe in the next administration...prsport

15. CSaley

CSaley Junior Member

im asking right about $20k..... but who knows... I'm open to offers; trades; whatever. Its the real deal!
  16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Sweet truck. I would love to hook a Cummins to Allison.
  17. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

sweet set up, but to i do need to ask you say the truck was problem free for 244000 miles how can you not consider the 6.0 a real motor?
  18. CSaley

CSaley Junior Member

miracles happen everyday and I will never deny my belief in that!
  19. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

my 2004 6.0 has also been problem free for 8 years. still trucking strong.
  20. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

i thought that would be sweet but in reality the motor still has more power then the Allison can handle a built dodge transmission would be much better.
    but that's a pretty sweet and clean looking rig.