1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cummins Oil Analysis

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NBI Lawn, Dec 2, 2014.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I've sent samples of my last two oil changes to BlackStone and both have come back very high in metal content.

Iron avg (mine) is 102 and normal for the type is 25
    Copper avg (mine) is 196 and normal for the type is 5

Between the last two oil changes the iron went from 78 to 126 and the copper went from 205 to 186. It's never given me any problems or anything to suggest an issue.

Any EDUCATED ideas? Should I be driving to the dealer tomorrow and trading it or not worry too much?

Details:
    2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 with 57,027miles
    Oil at first analysis was Valvoline 15-40 "cummins oil"/cummins filter. Had 6k on it at change. Only ran that oil once. All other oil has been Amsoil. Second
    analysis was 15-40 Amsoil/amsoil filter and had 10k on it.
    Truck is used for light towing in the summer. Doesn't get used much or at all in the winter.

Edit: truck has an Edge Programmer that gets turned up on an occasion just for giggles. Also has an AFE intake. Has developed a surge (maybe it always had it?) when the programmer is on which I am assuming to be a bad brain box on the Edge as I've heard of them doing that.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What did they say at the top of the page?

They usually give you an idea or there thoughts on your sample.

3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Edge warranty their product for life send it in for a check and repair I did mine even though it was on the truck when I bought it

What do you mean by a surge ? is it a torque convertor lock ? at around 40mph ?

4. NBI Lawn

They have no idea why there would be high metal. They said possible bad turbo but I see good boost out of it.

5. NBI Lawn

I talked to Edge about it when I first noticed it. It's a problem they know about I guess. Said it would cost something like $300 for a rebuild of the computer. Needless to say I wouldn't recommend their product because of that. My brother had the same issue with both of his Duramaxes.
    It has a fluctuation in RPM. Not much but you can hear it and feel it. On stock setting it doesn't do it.

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

My stock, never had a tuner on it Duramax does the surging thing. Has for years. Dealer has looked at it many times while under warranty. Never able to correct it. Seems to be worse in colder temps.

7. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

My 7.3 surges a bit after idling for more than 30 seconds. Needle barely moves but I can hear it. Doesn't do it when under load or in gear