1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cummins MPG?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by plowfever, Jan 18, 2011.

1. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I'm looking into a possible trade for my 6.0 F350 because of poor fuel economy. During the summer pulling my landscape equipment around I'm only averaging between 9-11 mpg. This is not heavy stuff just two riders and a walk behind. For a diesel not a load what so ever as a half ton handles this stuff with ease. When I'm not pulling anything I only average 12-14 with the best I've got was 15.5 when I took it to the gie expo in Louisville this fall. My question is how does your guys 06-09 cummins do on fuel and have you had any real issues? I'm not interested in hearing my cummins is better than your stroker and all that bs. I'm looking for honest answers that's all.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing snow with a 2yd hopper full of salt truck will run 24 hrs on a fill. The overhead averages 14.5 mpg.... Running the hwy with a 33 ft 5th wheel the truck will get 600km on a tank. That from full to when the fuel light is about to come on. This is my 06 2500ctd

06 - 07.5 Cummins are the ones you want.... PS get the leather!!!
  3. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I average about 500 miles per tank, maybe a little more depending on my driving style in the summer time. On winter blend, I average 475 miles per tank. I run 1/4 bottle of Power Service (gray bottle) in each tank which may be overkill but I noticed the truck running a little better since the fuel was changed. I have a 5" TBE, Smarty on SW#3, and 35" tires, among other things.

I just realized you asked for '06-09 trucks, but my 04.5 isn't much different powertrain wise. Anyway thats my $.02!
  4. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I will definitely get the leather. My Ford has the heated leather and is so nice for a work truck. It you get something on them just wipe it off no worries about stains. Also very nice on the cold days keeps your buns warm and toasty! My uncle and cousin both have dodge and swear they are the truck to buy but they also stretch the truth also as my uncle says he gets 18-20 out of his with nothing done to it except a muffler delete pipe. That's town and some highway driving. 500 miles per tank is pretty good if it is around a 28-30 gallon tank. I can stretch my Ford to MAYBE 425 on 28 gallon and it is bone dry almost.
  5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Something must be wrong with my Cummins if you guys are pulling those numbers :confused:. I know I get much better than an 06 Powerstroke as a friend has one and calls to compare MPG all the time. He is always in the 9mpg range.

What could be wrong with my truck that I dont get the MPG you guys do? I have the mods in my sig.

EDIT: My truck will get ~13mpg pulling a 3000lbs trailer around town and about 17-18mpg on the highway @ 68mph.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

My 2011 is gets anywhere between 8-12 :realmad::realmad: My 06 averaged 16.5 and 22 highway!
  7. adan

adan Member

What other choices are good for fuel economy for larger trucks that can tow 8-12,000lbs? We have a F250 that in the winter is getting 5.2MPG @ the moment, about a 150km/per tank
  8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The best MPG Cummin's will be the 12valver's. The more power they have the worse the mileage got. I think the most desirable Cummin's trucks are the 04.5-06 (early 07) 5.9's with the 48RE. Those trucks could pull close to 20mpg's unloaded.
  9. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

I average 18mpg hand calculated with a Smarty JR (40hp fuel milage tune), Cold air intake, 5" exhaust,and 285/70/17 tires. I tow a car hauler with a Kubota BX24 at least 3 times a week in the summer and plow/salt in the winter

The 04.5+ are all the "high output" motors. They are all good but the early common rail dodges (03-04) had a injector issue with them failing.
  10. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

My 03 ram cummins gets about 10MPG pulling a landscape trailer around town (all stop and go). On the highway is where is shines.... 20-22MPG.

Dont belive what people say about diesels getting such great mileage in general...... it has never been my experience with the ones I have owned. Buy them for the power and longevity.....

And yes... my 03 has had injector problems every couple of years. Other than that the truck has been flawless.
  11. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

dodge fuel tanks for diesel are 34/35 gallon tanks depending on the model. my work truck is an 02 qaud cab and averages 16 to 17 mpg. Personal truck is an 07 mega cab averages almost 20 mpg. My work truck is almost always pulling something. The only thing my personal truck is pulling is my fat #$$. While plowing I get 30 to 32 hours on a tank. Hope this helps.
  12. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

My Dad's 03 3500 dully gets about 27 on the highway no load. 160,000 Miles
  13. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

my 09 pulling lawn trailer around town loaded averages 10 to 12, empty ive gotten around 20 to 22. 30000 miles so far only a egr valve replaced!
  14. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Best MPG set up is the 03 and some 04's with the 235-250hp and 3:73 gears. They will do 20mpg. But wont win any races once your 60mph. And yes the old 12v but they had same Hp
  15. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Thanks guys for all the info. I am going to start looking around at possibly trading off my 05 powerchoke. I just replaced tranny about a month ago and it is making noise again already. It is under warranty but I don't want a truck that is in the shop all the time either. All this time I been waiting for engine trouble since it is the 6.0 and never have had one but the tranny is the problem. I will let you guys know what I decide.
  16. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

This is why I'm looking at going cummins.
  17. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

do it, if thats the truck that you use in user name thats what i got rid of and went to a cummins, best move. that thing is an animal in the snow
  18. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Not calling you out but there is no way a 1ton dually is getting 27mpg.
  19. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Yep its is she only has 64,000 miles on it. I'm still working on getting the money together for a new truck. I may have to live with a hemi.
  20. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Damn i'm only getting 12 around town,never seen it more than that but i do question the reliability of the overhead console display. I hope to put a tuner in soon with some other goodies, tranny mods have to come first before power, IMO