1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cummins mileage question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Snowguy01, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

Hi I own a 2006 cummins reg cab long bed auto. I only get 9.8 mpg what are you other guys who have these truck getting I am sick of the low mileage. I had a 05 4 door short bed 6 speed and I was up to 18-19 what could be going on. This truck has 12k on it and I love it but to fill up 2 times a week for 3.22 a gallon is killing me. Please send me your ideas on what could be going on.

2. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I don't know but my 95' does 20-22 MPG ! What Cummins engine is it?

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

My 06' quad/short CTD will get 18mpg all day in the city and 23.5mpg hwy at ~67mph as soon as I hit 70 it seems to drop. Pulling 8,000lbs around it will still get ~15+mpg, I've never seen below 15. I do have an AFE stage2 and an Edge in it but I dont think that helped that much.

There is still warrenty on your truck so bring it back to the dealer. There is something wrong. Maybe an injector, fuel filter...?

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

my 03 will do about the same however i did see the guage read 25 mpg on my way to wisconsin this summer when my dad was driving 65 steady

5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Mix of stop and go and highway I average between 15-16.5 Highway about 20-22. If you do alot of stop and go, tow heavy loads or drive over 2,000 rpms your mileage will take a pretty big hit.

6. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Take it back to the dealer and see if you can get the computer reflash for poor fuel mileage. (TSB) I average about 15-17mpg with a mix of city/highway driving. I think a computer reflash will solve your problem.

7. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

ok thanks for the input I am getting like i said 9.2 empty or loaded pulling a trailer or plowing snow or just driving the most i got was 10.2 and what is a computer reflash I am not up to date on it. thanks

8. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

mine gets about 15-16 in the city, 14+ when pulling a trailer and stop&go. average around 19-21 on the highway, but im usually right at or just below 70Mph. i would imagine that if I didn't have 800Lbs. worth of dump insert in the back of it, it would improve a little as well. Do you notice a lot of soot in your exhaust when you give it gas, or a lot of soot on the rear fender even when just driving in the city? Could be a computer reflash as stated above is all you need. I would definitely take it to be checked at the dealership.

9. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I bought the truck 1 year ago this month and ran it with out the dump for the whole fall and winter put it in in may and it did not get any better then and can some one tell me what a computer flash is thanks

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

15-16 city, 17-19 highway on my 05 quad auto.That is hand calculated. My overhead allways says about 18.6 to 19.6 city, 20-22 highway.
    Bad mileage could be many things, did you check for codes ?

11. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

No this is the start to just see what it could possibly be. I figure it by hand and it is the same as the computer.

12. T-MAN

Check it for codes, it is easy.
    Cycle key to on (not start) off, on, off on count the flashes in cycles. Should be 4 sets of flashes.

13. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

what am i looking for flashes

14. T-MAN

yes, your check engine light will flash in cycles

15. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

so how will I know what it means I will check now

16. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

take it back to the dealer..... 12,000 miles on a 06 it is still under 3/36 7/70 7/100 everyone and the uncle can guess at what is wrong (and they will still be wrong)

A PCM flash resets the computer. If your lucky it will fix the issue ( but it is doughtful)
    06 still has the 5.9L HO CTD and not the 6.7L

Key cycle don't work on cars 03 and newer or trucks 04-05 or newer......
    You now need a OBD2 code reader to get codes....

my 05 is getting 18-24 MPG

17. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Key cycles worked on my 04 and 06.

18. T-MAN

worked fine on my 05 too

post the number you come up with, I can check in my service manual
    should be 4 numbers 1234
    If you get one flash, pause, 4 flash pause, 2 flash pause, 7 flash pause
    I just made that up to give you an idea. This works on all Chrysler products

19. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I will try it and see if i can get it to do the flashes

20. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

on my 06 when I cycle the key it actually gives me a digital readout of the code on the odometer instead of having to count flashes.