1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cummins for winter daily driver?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MT250, Oct 3, 2015.

1. MT250

MT250 Junior Member
    from North

I'm looking at a gas 2016 Ram but I see some new 2015 Cummins Rams for similar prices. My last diesel was much older but there were some cold weather issues with it. Do those still exist with the new ones? Are there problems with starting or frequent short trips, like 5-15 miles in below zero weather? How long to get the engine up to operating temp? I would hate to pass on the diesel if the price is the same but I don't want to have problems from not working it hard.

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Diesel motors in pickups are not ideal for short trips they're built to be worked.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

My '14 started at -15 or so last year without being plugged in.

However, Buff is correct.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I gelled up my first Winter before starting to use Power Service. No problems since.

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Unless you GVW over 20K consistently, buy the gas truck. Modern diesels are an expensive nightmare when something goes wrong. When they work, it's awesome but it gets very expensive very fast.

Read Harleyjeff's thread one below this one. Enough said.

6. JustJeff

Very good advice right there.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It makes me wonder how many people have had problems with new diesels only because they really only use them to run to the store and then get mad at the truck they bought. Get the gasser if this new truck will not get worked much.

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Buff is correct, but any cold weather diesel issues can be taken care of with correct preparations for the weather conditions you have.

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I know a few people that do exactly that, the only work out the motor gets is pulling a ski or pontoon boat a couple times a month during the summer.

10. MT250

MT250 Junior Member
    from North

I agree with everything said. It just puzzles me why I see them all over the place year round here. I know several people that own them and they treat them like any other truck without problems. I will likely stick to the plan and go with the hemi. Thanks!

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I traded in my 2004 Ram 2500 emissions free Cummins for my 2011 F250 gasser. The diesel and 6 speed manual had a fun factor but what a waste of money that truck was for me looking at the big picture. The truck started to fall apart around the great drive train. I am just as happy if not happier with my gasser automatic.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Mine started at -32 with 10w-40 unplugged.

And again buff is right.

My diesel sits all winter, I plow with a gasser.
    It's a great tow rig... I'm deleted. And I still wouldn't like to plow with it.
    But tow a TT in the mountains and you will really like the diesel.

But unfortunely the hemis are having problems ,
    But I've herrd they are nice other wise,and the 6.7 diesel with the added hp, is having issues with the rear main bearing.
    Some start to sound like there is a secretary trying to type 80 words a minute.
    The new rear main is a 3 pice bearing that is pressed together.,
    Not one pice bearing like it should be. When it loosens up it rattles .
    This bearing if it should fail will take the engine with it.
    It seems like all of the truckes these days have one issue or another.

13. MT250

MT250 Junior Member
    from North

I haven't heard of problems with the hemi, can you elaborate?

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

15. MT250

MT250 Junior Member
    from North

Looks like that applies to trucks built between June and October 2014. Thanks for posting that.

16. JustJeff

Actually, after thinking about this, if you can get a '15 diesel for the same price as a '16 gas I'd jump on it, just for resale value alone. A diesel with 100K on it will fetch a lot more than a gas one with 100K. And you shouldn't run into any major problems within the first 100K, and if you do, you have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. (unless you're me).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  17. Mark Oomkes

Interesting, as over the past week mine has developed what I can describe only as spark knock.

Better get it checked while they do the recall BS.

18. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Ya probably have a fuel knock. One of the injectors is not atomizing the fuel correctly. This will throw that cylinder out of time a degree or two. Just guessing tho. If that's what it is and you keep running it, eventually you will crack/break a piston. Well that's what happens on the larger diesels anyway.

19. Mark Oomkes

It cleared up this morning, so maybe there was some crap in it.

20. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Purge your water
    Change fuel filters every 5 k
    Use power service during the season.

My temps dont stay as cold as up north, but this regiment works for me all year round