1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cummins cuts out on me

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dirtyscag, Dec 31, 2011.

1. dirtyscag

dirtyscag Senior Member

I have an 03 cummins and when im going down the road it just cuts out with no warning at all more so when you let off like going down hill or at a stop sign. It almost seems like it just runs out of fuel but other then that it runs great. What could this be and how would i tell? Thanks

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Key on/off 3 times leave on 3rd time. Look for code in odometer. I'm thinking fuel pump going south on you.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

fuel filter could be clogged as well.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Fuel solenoid?

5. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

ALWAYS keep a spare fuel filter in the truck, it happens all the time. Not saying thats your problem but check easiest first. you have an 03, do you have a smarty tuner? if so it doubles as a code reader.

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

He's cutting out at no load/throttle probably not a fuel filter

7. H&HPropertyMait

i know, i said it might not be the problem, but every diesel guy should have a spare fuel filter in the truck, as they can go bad at random, has happened to me twice.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

probally you lift pump,,,,common problem on certain year dodges. do a search on this. should fine what years were affected. theres a few different fixes for it as well,,not cheap either

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

True except for the expensive part. Here's a brand new stock style LP for $159

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PUMP_FPD4089602

This is assuming you still have this style pump and it's actually the problem. If it's in the tank, it will be a tougher fix. Dodge put new pumps in the tanks under warranty.

I have a FASS 95 titanium series pump on my truck.

10. dieselss

ok,,i thought they were more saltly then that. i had an article in my diesel mag about that. they opted to go the fass/air dog route. thats the salty route lol

11. H&HPropertyMait

Only way to go

12. wewille

wewille Senior Member

The raptor is not a bad choice either. Lifetime warranty as well. Much cheaper than a fass system

13. dirtyscag

dirtyscag Senior Member

I changed the filter and still kept doing it any sure way to test the lp

14. dieselss

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Key on/off 3 times leave on 3rd time. Look for code in odometer.

Have we done this yet???

16. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler Senior Member

Lift pump going south... But yes check fuel pressure and the stock replacement part isnt always the best way to go. Got the same one from genos, first was dead outa the box second one lasted a year. Now all my trucks have airdogs