1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cummins conversion??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Team_Yamaha, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I am thinking taking our shop truck a 94 F-150 4X4 ans swapping the 300-6 out for a Cummins. I know that it will be a lot of work but, I figure that it would be a fun thing to toy with. Does anyone know of any sites, or other places to help me??

Thanks guys

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

go to FordCummins.com , I too am seriously considering this conversion for my '00 F-250.

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I honestly dont think the F150 front end can handle the Cummins, they way just over a 1000 pounds !
    Todd

4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

cummins swap

even if you could beef up the front end of an F-150 to hold up the Cummins, which dont get me wrong is a cool idea. i think the power would twist the F-150 frame in half. just to much weight and power.

5. lumps

lumps Senior Member

i imagine that the least you would have to do is swap in a solid axle setup up front, and beef the frame. you're gonna have to change your fuel delivery system, your computer, your tranny (or at least mod it to make it fit), etc. i'd think it'd be a lot more time/cost effective to just trade for an older 250/350 or whatever with a diesel. though i'm sure it would be a cool project.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

don;t waste your time or money with a 150 as the base truck- start with a 250 minimum, a 350 is perferred. Ford offered the Cummins as an option on 350's so there is a great starting point. the 150 will not handle the weight or power of cummins- that's why noone makes a 1/2 ton with one of them in it factory.

7. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

the cummins was NEVER an option in the F350,any model year.the bigger F650 and F750's have cummins as an option.
    my uncle has done the exact swap you are thinking about,need to get the engine and move the trans back and alot more mods.can be done though.
    also he has put a 4 banger cummins (3.9 i think) in a 1/2 ton.less work but less power also.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It would be easer to swap a ford body on to a Dodge, but then the MOPAR gods would have to kill the truck LOL

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Back in the 80's when Ford had a 46% stock ownership of Cummins F350's and up were available on special order basis with a B series Cummins. Very few were ordered because the truck had the diesel up charge and then another Cummins upcharge unless you went to the 550 and up. It was never in a dealer album, only special order COPO type codes. Few salesmen actually knew it was possible to order the smaller trucks with them and that being said even fewer customers knew or would spend the outragious $$ to get one. Currently I believe the 650, as you said, is the smallest that can be custom ordered witha Cummins. Cummins bought themselves out of Ford in the late 80's or early 90's.

10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Ford had owned shares of Cummins at one time and that was it. The 5.9 came to life I think in 82' and was rumored to be a joint development with Case. It was never , ever , ever an factory option, special order or anything like that. This has been beat to death on just about every forum out there. There may have been a dealer who installed them, and I say maybe, but nothing to do with Ford or Cummins.

11. letersnow

letersnow Junior Member

A cummins in an f350 was NEVER an option. F550 & 650, yes. Ford did own a portion of Cummins stock, but cummins has since bought it back and Ford has NO stake in Cummins

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I said that in my last post-
    There was one for sale on Ebay a couple weeks ago (within the last 3 weeks) A 1999 I think.