1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cummins, block heater

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SnoFarmer, Sep 19, 2008.

1. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I know this has been discussed but I can't find the thread.

my understanding is that all of the Cummins engines have a block heater installed?

If the option is in the build sheet it is a $9 option.
    All this consists of is having the cord installed?

So what I'm getting at is, All I need to do is get the cord and install it my self ?

I haven't crawled under it yet to see if a heater is installed.

so now I'm a newbe to the oil burner club;)
    be gentle....lololol
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

right all you have to do is buy the cord at the dealer. The cord plugs into the block on the passenger side of the truck below the exaust mainfold and in front of the turbo. if i recall right mine hade a black cap that screws on where the cord plugs into. I 'm assuming that you have a 3rd gen diesel? im not sure if the 2nd gens are the same. Its sucks its a $9 option and they just don't include it. i think mine was $80 to buy separet :salute:
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Holy crappers, did the sun just rise in the west???????????? :drinkup: :waving:

Welcome to the dark side, next thing you'll be getting a Blizzard. lolololololololololol
  4. wilddodge05

wilddodge05 Junior Member

you can go to napa and pick the cord up for $20 bucks payup
  5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Snowfarmer we need pics of the new Cummins :drinkup:
  6. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

cord from Cummins is $10.00, Its the same style as on a big truck Cummins. On the Common Rail Cummins a cord does NOT come on every truck.... it is a ordered part IF you dont have it there is a screw on plug that is just infront of the oil filter where you screw the cord onto. IIRC the 89-02 came factory with a plug on all 6BT's
  7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

It's an 08,
    I crawled under her yesterday and found the cap that your talking about
    $80:eek: sh1t...

Thanks for the warm welcome..:drinkup:
    A blizzard for me....lolololol

I'm going to take some today...;)

It should come on everyone.: The truck next to it had the cord on it.
    On the window sticker it said "block heater.....$9
    But we know that they have the block heater already installed.
    So are they are gust charging us for a cord that cummins supplies with the engine when it's shiped to dodge?

I guess I'll call around and see where I can find one.

8. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

yeah it is stupid they dont all come with one, dads 05 and my 06 didnt come with one:eek:
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I know, you would think that when you pay 5k for the cummins option that they would throw in the $9 cord too.

They filled the tank for free and that cost more than $9;)
  10. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

I learned the hard way about using the heater. Plug it in when you get home and unplug when you leave = big electric bill. I picked up a heavy duty timer from Ace Hardware and set it to turn on at 4AM and off at 7AM, by the time I leave it's warmed up with no big electric bill. Just wait until the orange snake chases you down the driveway.:waving:
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You've seen those too.
    I was backing away from my garage one time and one of those orange snakes
    chase my truck all of the way down the drive.:eek:

I looked up the price of that cord. The dealer wants something like $42 for it.:dizzy:
  12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Interesting, my electric bills do not go up very much and I plug all my diesels but the one that fits inside in.

PS If you happen to catch the orange snake while plowing, there's usually some good fireworks.
  13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

x2, i calcualted it out a few years ago and it would cost me around $1.50 per day to leave it plugged in. i
  14. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I was fortunate to get one with my truck, but a freind didn't get one with his CTD, he picked up one at the Cummins dealer for a third of what Dodge wanted.
  15. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

To avoid the Orange snake I drape the cord over the plow so I dont forget, I know a couple guys that drape it over the drivers mirror.
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

WE use to count $1 /day years ago, so your probably right. Cheap insurance IMO.