1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cummins auto tranny

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by yardfarmer, Oct 30, 2005.

1. yardfarmer

yardfarmer Junior Member

i heard dodge auto trannys in the cummins are crappy true? or not? shed some light please

2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

what year of truck??

True that the auto trannys in dodge cummins trucks was weak, with the new style 03+ it is a different newer tranny. the new tranny is much better.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I had a 2001 cummins for three years, pulled a 18' lawn trailer in the summers, and plowed in the winters...No problems with that one. Now I have a 2005 cummins been pulling all summer, and its got a blizzard 810 ready for plowing this winter so far no problems. I guess its all how you take care of your stuff.:nod:

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

We had a '95 1/2 ton Dodge that I plowed with when I started out.

8' Western steel plow on the front.

At 157k miles we had to put a tranny in, it started to slip.

We probably could have drove it that way, but it was also time to move on and get a 3/4 ton truck at that point due to buying a dump trailer.

We put the plow on at about 56k miles, and granted it wasn't JUST a plow truck, but it WAS the main plow truck for 5 seasons.

5. drifter79

drifter79 Member
    from pacific

I have a 01 2500/ Cummings when I bought it I also got the exstended warranty but I also payed to have trans flushed and serviced and have not had any trans trouble thought I had but it was something all different.:)

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The 94-00 is a 47RE/47RH which is essentially the A518, descendant of the 727. The transmission in question is a gasolene transmission (designed for gas engines) that has been mated to a diesel engine- without reengineering. The tranny itself is a stout tranny, but the diesel engine is alot more torquie and produces ALL of it's power at low rpm wheras a gas engine is a high RPM beast. Consiquently the Diesel puts power into the tranny before the tranny is under enough line pressure to handle it.

01 was the 48RE which is a beefed 47RE- better, much better. The 03+ truck have a WAY better tranny for the diesel. The older 47RE can be beefed into essentially a 48RE (mine has) and can be made even stronger with the right knowledge and some deeeep pockets. the old 727A was capable of well over 1000 HP out of a 440- the trick is a 440 gasser made the power where the tranny was designed to handle it.

7. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

not trying to brag, but i don't have that problem, my 91 cummins has a 3 spd. auto, basically a 727 TF with a non-lockup converter. 163,00 miles and i abuse it daily iguess i'm ok until the back of the case explodes!ive got a core i'm building and putting the heavier spragues and other goodies in it so it won't explode....hopefully!!!! pete

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The 91's are substantially weaker in engine output than the 94+. The tranny in them is the same as what you have- the 48RE is the current one, 47RE for the 94-98. They are derivitives of the A518, which is an aluminum 4spd version (with computer control possibility) of the 727TF. Unless you bomb the engine you'll never have the damage issues the later trucks have- they are well matched to the engine power for those earlier years and the non-locking converter absorbes alot that the later trucks put into the tranny.

BTW it's not bragging- my 96 has had very few of the commonly reported problems. 115K miles on the original factory track bar, 120K miles on the original factory tie rods, 128K and still going on the front wheel bearings, had my tranny overhauled and beefed up at 70K under an aftermarket warranty just to be safe. Alot depends on where you live and how you drive for the life and repairs of your truck.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005