1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cummins and vee plows

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by OneBadDodge06, Dec 13, 2007.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I got to thinking about this the other day while I was out plowing....and thought I'd ask...

With any of you that have hung a vee (don't care what size) what all parts have you gone through on your front end? I'm just curious, Cummins is a heavy engine and then a plow on top of that weighs almost as much as Hillary Clinton's head.

2. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Ball joints mostly....but with a 2nd gen Dodge that's a given...my steering sector is due for replacement (will be under warranty...just need to schedule it) ....other than that nothing that you wouldnt expect on any other truck

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing yet!! :)

4. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I'm guessing the steering went bad due to excessive wear due to the manufacturer since its warranty work?

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I run my trucks to about 100k miles, then trade them in.

So far in that 100k, nothing has needed to be replaced.

This is after about 4-5 years.

CTD's with 8.2 Vs, either the club cab models or now the 4 door crew cabs, short box.

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

3rd Gen CTD's seem to eat ball joints even without plows hung on them.

7. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

No, I bought the extended warranty with the truck....full powertrain..includes fuel system, steering, & all 4x4 components till 117k miles..... it has more than paid for itself...

8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I hung an old Boss 9' 2" Vee with wings and a U-Edge off a 1 ton Cummins Dodge. That's 1000 pounds of plow AND 1000 pounds of engine block. To make matters worse, it's a Quad Cab with a six speed tranny. The transmission alone weighs 500 pounds.

The only thing I've gone through is ONE set of Moog aftermarket front coils that broke after SEVEN years of abuse. I would totally buy these things again.....but,

I've found the BADDEST front springs a contractor can buy.

The SuperCoil.http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/SuperSprings.htm

Side by side, the SuperCoil was way bigger than my old Moogs, which were bigger than anything Dodge offers 'cause my 1 ton came with Dodge's biggest springs.
    SuperCoils are on steroids.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  9. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

How big of a job is it to swap out coil springs??

Johnny U....

That's what I've been hearing as well. Even w/o the plow they eat ball joints like they're going out of style. But I guess all trucks have their quirks.

10. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Not too bad. I did springs, brake shoes, shocks and was going to do the track bar, (I took it off, but put it back on) just take off the caliper and zip tie it to something. Put on your new springs and shocks and put it all back together. I did it myself on a Saturday in the driveway. I did use the wife's bottle jack to drop the axle real low one side at a time. SuperCoils stand tall.

You guys are right about those ball joints. I'm watching mine like a hawk. Lucky so far.

If I remember right, theres a pretty cool NAPA replacement for the ball joint WITH a grease zerk on it. I'll see if I can dig up a part number on the TDR.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  11. pyro29

pyro29 Member

These greasable uppers make a huge difference...went from once every two years to once every three years - 9'2" Boss "V" on 3500 with CTD.

Ball joints, every three years...argh! Fortunately I work part time as a mechanic so I can use the garage after hours. Once you're spoiled with a lift you'll never work on your back again. Sector Shaft, Tie Rod, and Track Bar are due for replacement (1st time with 130K on the clock)

12. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

You gonna get that big aftermarket track bar from Thuren with the adjustable hiem end link? that thing is cool.

http://thurenfabrication.com/3rdgentrackbar.html

13. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Pro

I went to that website....which did you get for your truck....stock or the 2.5 inch lift? Does the one with the lift require different shocks as well?

How much of a PITA is it for someone who's never done ball joints before? I like the idea of greaseable joints but if I can do it myself I will........in the summer.

14. Four Alarm Lawn

Four Alarm Lawn Junior Member

Hey Pro Seasons,
    I am looking into getting the super coils from Rocky Mountain. Which springs did you get and are you still happy with them? I have spoken with them on the phone and they seem like they know what they are doing! Did the 2 1/2 inch lift level your truck out and did you stick with the stock shocks? Thanks...

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't think air weighed very much. prsport :angel:

Sounds like just as many parts with the Cummins as I did with the V10 or 360. Ball joints, axle shafts, bearings, u-joints, etc.

Wouldn't let it worry me, it's just part of plowing.

16. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I got the stock. It's still sitting on the workbench, but at least it's here. The old one is okay.Nope, stock shocks, too. A pair of Bilsteins everybody on the TDR raves about.

I'll bet your'e right. If any lift is added to a truck, ALL subsequent aftermarket parts will have to work within the parameters of the trucks new stance.

17. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Happy with them?? I took them to dinner the other night and I'm still trying to make room for them in our bed!::nod:

Stock shock size and ABSOLUTELY level. No ballast and the front drops 3/4 of and inch when the plow is raised. Thank You, Rocky Mountain Suspension!!

Oh. I got the 5000 pound versions. SSC23.

18. Four Alarm Lawn

Four Alarm Lawn Junior Member

That's great!!! Thank you very much, I will be ordering my set tomorrow!! Hope you are able to find room in your bed for them!! Thanks!!

19. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I stand corrected Mark. You got a point air doesn't have as much density as cast iron...

I just wasn't sure if I worrying about something really dumb. Like a decal on my plow peeling off......oh and Mark....do you have any idea when dodge started putting cummings engines in their stuff????? lol

20. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The inline 7 engines had the optional "G" on the valve cover. Fortunately the I-6 versions didn't have room for the "G"

:D