1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cummins 12v manual trans?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by welj31, Feb 2, 2009.

1. welj31

welj31 Member

Anyone know if there is a manual trans opt for a cummins 12v or a aftermarket one , adapt kit or ?? ...would like a 6 speed?
  2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

No six speed but yeah you can buy the old ones with a stick
  3. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

The Cummins 12, 24 and Common Rail blocks are all virtually identical, so pretty much all transmisssions that were available to Dodge from 1989 will fit.

Including the mighty New Venture Gear NV-5600 Six speed transmission, which was available around the year 2000 on all 2001 High Output Cummins turbodiesels, which is what is sitting in my driveway right now.

This is a huge manuel transmission with an iron case that weighs in the neighborhood of 500 pounds. Living behind a Cummins turbodiesel isn't an easy task and mine has to follow my 550 horsepower Twin Turbocharged Cummins everyday.

Modified Cummins Diesels are seriously devoid of a sense of humor.http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&prev=/images?q=Scheid+diesel&um=1&hl=en&sa=N
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You could get 12v's with a nv4500 (5spd) from the factory between 94 and 98.5. Before that they were a getrag 5spd. Durring the early 24v you also had the nv4500 and then the nv5600 around 01 as ProSeasons said. So if you really wanted to, you could find an nv5600 and swap it where the nv4500 used to be. I'm not sure what other work would be needed other then obviously changing the transmissions. Going by the mechanical background of the 12v I can't imagine it would be to hard.
  5. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

The day my auto fries in my 95'... the NV4500 is going in !
  6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Not that easy to change over FYI
  7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Why would it be super hard?

Should be pretty simple I'd think if you had a donor truck or access to one. The trans was offered as a stock option so that knocks out a lot of the fab work needed to make it fit and work. It should just come down to switching components over I'd think.
  8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yeah, Mark's right. The sledpuller types love the big manuel trannys and switch 'em out all the time.

It's the Cummins/ Allison 1000 automatics that are a real bear to swap out, with the stand alone controller and programming in all 6 forward gears and both reverse gears....

....but those Cummins Allys are out there, too!
  9. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

It really isnt that hard to do the swap. I did it on my truck after I cooked the auto towing every weekend. I did the swap in a day and a half Worst part of the swap is taking out and installing the new trans the rest is easy. I had all the parts I needed as I bought them off a guy going the other way. The pedals/ hydraulics bolt up then cut a whole in the floor for the shifter and your good to go. Only other thing you might need to do is swap the input shaft on the transfer case if you dont buy the manual transfer case as the splines are different. You can go as far as swapping steering columns and wiring harnesses but its really not needed. unless you have the parts sitting there.