1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cul-de-sacs with grass in middle

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Township1, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Township1

Township1 Member

Does anybody plow these. cul-de-sacs with grass in the middle.

we are having problems with these, the little trucks can't seam to push them, and the big trucks (even the little trucks a little) off track in the center.

Anybody have a suggestion on how to handle these?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You have to use the smaller trucks and go out more often. Then next summer have the city tear them out and make sure the engineer&landscape designer are fired:D
  3. TerrForms

TerrForms Member

Yea, I have a couple with cul de sacs. One with a center island. Just take your time and push everything to the outside away from the center island. I don't have enought room to push to the center island. The circle (island) is way too tight to maneuver. The road is only about 12ft. wide around island.
  4. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

i plow at a big apartment complex about 8-10 different buildings and at the end of some of them there are cul-de-sacs, with small islands in the middle, we just push all the snow outwards and then usually the loader will come in and reposition it further back. That is always an option to, get a loader for the job with a snow bucket and you can easily get it all in the center. Send a truck in to clear it out and the loader to clean up. I dont know if you have houses around so trying to push towards the outside may be tough.
  5. Township1

Township1 Member

Now that I agree with - but they love these things and will not approve a subdivision with the regular ones anymore.

Our problem is we currently have 32 of them, and they all have driveways off of the outside. This is on top 60 line miles of road (120 lane miles) and about 50 regular cul-de-sacs with only 8 guys. There is no way to push into the middle of them. These things our killing us.

Timing is the big issue. We have been going back with our 544 loader, backhoe or the skidloader W/blower to take care of them, but we are getting lots of complaints. We are looking for any ideas for a quick way to do them, and something with some travel speed as there is about 10 miles between the furthest.

We have talked about a truck mounted blower, pusher box of some type (possably on our JD 6415) jus don't know.

Some of these are so tight the tractors off track when plowing.
  6. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

Grader goes in plows the road (if it has a right hand wing go around the street the wrong way one you get to the "bubble" to plow everything into the circle) then have a FEL come in a clean it all up into a nice pile. Will also need to cut along the curb line where the driveway is because the grade rprobably can't turn that sharp. Even the grader will lose traction probably. Soemtimes lifting the wing up just a bit helps to put more weight onto the grader tires.....
  7. mtk469

mtk469 Member

We have a couple of HOA's that we do and they have islands in the culdesacs and they are very tight. Depending on the snow amount we make pass around as tight as possible and then back drag a little and push to the front of the the island. We also use a jeep from time to time which works pretty well as the short wheel base really helps. Other then that if the snow is really deep then we will bring in the bobcat to finish the deal,
  8. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

The company I work for has about 400 cul de sacs we plow in our city. Cul de sacs can be tricky if not plowed right. We plow both cul de sacs with an "island" or without. Plowing them with a standard pick-up can be done, but the best approach we have found is to use a skid steer, or a small end loader. Your always going to get complaints, but the people in the cul de sacs get just as much people who live off the main road. All of our cul de sacs are plowed to the outside. Here are some tips you may or may not already know, hope this helps.

Couple tips:

-When going around the circle angle your blade to the opposite side as if you were plowing towards the center. The momentum of your truck will push the snow of the opposite end of your blade and it will allow you to take full bites of snow. If it starts to trail towards the center just flick your blade to the oppposite side.

-On heavier snow events will try and plow some piles where we can. That way your not leaving a 3ft mound on the end of peoples drives.

-Try and plow them before the city opens the main road.
    -When plowing the end of the "throat" or entrance, just turn as if you were leaving the cul de sac with your blade down and let the snow trail of your blade like the city plows. This will save you lots of time, most people take to much time going back and forth plowing the entrance to the side.

We have found that one of the quickest way to plow them is with a JD 244j end loader(or equivalent). I personally drive one and plow over 50+ cul de sacs on my own. I also plow parking lots during that time.
  9. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I have 2 at one place I do, they're square when im done, and theres not much grass left in the middle come spring time.
    They are the suck.
  10. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I have been plowing courts for the city for 10 years now and have them down to a science where nobody really gets snow in their driveway. On courts with the grass (20+ per snow) I plow the neck straight onto the island. Then, I go to the back of the bulb and start on the curb with the blade angled away from the houses an plow half of the court to the front of the island, then do the other half the other way. Go back to the front (as if you were plowing the neck) and push the piles from the halves into the pile on the island. Each one's a little different and the technique can be changed, but this works as a general tactic for me and I get them done fast. I've done courts with everything from an ext cab, short bed 3/4 to a Bronco to the Wrangler I use now. I've never been faster than I am with the Wrangler, but I have somebody drive my F250 and he gets them done in just about the same time. There's another guy in our crew that uses a 3/4 ton Dodge ext cab long bed and does fine.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  11. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

that way really seems like a good way, especially if you cant afford or dont have a loader at your hands.