1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CTL track width for snow

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by stringfellohawk, Sep 24, 2016.

1. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk Junior Member

I'm looking to buy a different set of tracks for my Cat 259. I currently have the 'C' pattern on the machine now, but have found two different patterns that are better suited for snow removal. I currently have 400mm wide tracks, but can go down to 320mm wide tracks. I'm thinking that the increased ground pressure would be more advantageous to traction in snow. Anyone have experience with this? If so, what have you found?
    ClawM likes this.
  2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I don't have experience with the narrow tracks for snow.. But from my other experiences can tell you without a doubt the narrow tracks will be better pushing snow than a wide track.
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I think the wider tracks will help more when you're actually in snow because they'll "float" better. If you were always on a hard service, narrower might be more advantageous, but probably not too much more.