1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CTD Oil ??'s

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BreyerConstruct, Mar 2, 2005.

1. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

So I just got my truck back from NTB, where it got an oil change.
    It was specified to the manager that it's a diesel, make sure it gets oil for a diesel.
    I check the reciept & sure enough, it's got 5w30 in it (this reminds me of my old Saturn...). I called the manager & asked what's up. He says 5 weight is fine, & is one of the recomended weights for the truck, according to his computer.

Any concerns? I use my truck just as hard as you guys. is the 5 gonna be OK, or should I be flipping!!
    Thanks for the help.

~Matt

2. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I know that 5w30 is a "recommended" oil, but get rid of it. Not that 5w40 will hurt the motor but it's just too thin for it. I've owned a few 5.9s (Cummins) and have always run 15w40 oil. A friend of mine is a top-notch mechanic (gas and diesel) and runs 15w40 in everyone of his tow trucks. Just my .02

Ryan

3. 96CTD

96CTD Junior Member

5w30 is a no no in our trucks...i run mopar 15w40 religiously...it's a little slugish on very cold mornings, but if u don't live in an area where temps are below 0 on a regular basis, u will be fine...

4. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I don't think 5w30 is a recomended oil for your truck. I would check the owners manual to make sure. 15-40 is all we have ever ran. I think the guy is trying to pull one on you. I would probably ask to see his computer. If he lied I would be raising hell.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Check it out- also find out exactly WHAT oil they use- make sure it's diesel rated (most oil is not). If they put in the wrong stuff you are entitled to the oil being changed again to the correct oil at no charge, and possibly a refund on your initial oil change. If anything happens to the engine from them puttng in the wrong oil they are legally (sue em) responsible to fix it. Jiffy lube has bought thousands of cars because of that.

6. davidrbean

davidrbean Member

unless you live where the temp dosent get abuve 0 then 5w is a no-no :nono: according to our database

89079186.gif

7. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

NTB has agreed to redo the oil change, and will spend tomorrow morning looking for 14 qt of oil. 15w40, that is. :)
    I'm curious to see if they try & charge me for something on this one!

~Matt