1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CTD Fluids

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Wiseguyinc, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

I was just wondering what oil and trans fluid everyone with the cummins trucks uses. I noticed a product from Valvoline called premium blue that was supposed to be produced w/ the help of cummins.Anyone use it? Also what about amsoil for engine/trans? Just wondering.
  2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I have used Rotella Synthetic 5w40 since the 20K mark. If Amsoil sold in a store here I would definitely buy it though. I have Amsoil air filters though & a couple other odd & end things. I just don't have enough room to store oil. You might check on Cumminsforum. There are a couple vendors that are running free Amsoil membersips right now w/ a purchase.
  3. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Valvoline Premium Blue 2000 is synthetic blend 15w-40 that was developed for Cummins by Valvoline. It used to be sold in a white bottle wih a blue Cummins label. After a few years on the market Valvoline started selling it with their label. I used to run it in L10 & M11 applicatons and I got 25,000 mile change intervals out of it. A very good oil. My boss switched to Chevron Delo 400 15w-40 dino oil cuz of a pushy salesman and I get 25,000+ mile change intervals out of it too and it's cheaper than the Premium Blue. Also a very good oil.
    Trans required ATF+4, which if I'm not mistaken is synthetic ATF+3 and it's available at WalMart.
  4. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Amsoil everywhere except engine oil where I use a blend of Delo and Amsoil. I like the moly and boron and sealing of the Delo and I like the calcium and the synthetic basestock of the Amsoil.
  5. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I have run Rotella-T in my 91 and it has 480k on it. Uses no oil at all. In the trans (727) I use Type- F fluid.
    I have use Amsoil and I don't care for their "pyramid scam" style of marketing.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  6. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

I went with the shell rotella synthetic. 17 bucks a gallon I figured was pretty good for full syntetic. Amsoil was 26 bucks and regular shell rotella was 10. I'll see if I notice any change in mpg or cold weather starts.
  7. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

My truck just turned 11000, so i've only changed the oil once, went with dino rotella T 15w40. Bought a case of six gallons at Costco for just just under $50. Comes out to be $8.33 / gallon. Get my filters directly from Cummins instead of paying a dodge dealer $38 a piece. Haven't noticed any cold starting problems until we got to highs that were less than 10 degrees F. Had to crank maybe 5 or 6 times before it would fire and then it was a little rough for a second. Of course that was also in the parking lot at work where I had no access to plug the block heater in.
  8. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

I do not think Premium Blue 2000 is being offered any more. Valvoline released Premium Blue Extreme, a Group III synthetic 5w40, and I think this replaced the PB 2000.

To the OP, since you live in a colder climate I might recommend a 5w40 synthetic. The Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w40, Valvoline PB Extreme 5w40, Delo 5w40. The Mobil Delvac 1 is also a great 5w40 oil but it is a Group IV oil so it cost a little more than the Group III's mentioned.

As far as a dino oil, any of the big name brand oils (Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Shell, Chevron, ect....) will be a good oil and provide very good protection at a regular oil chance interval.