1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CT Weather

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CT18fireman, Feb 21, 2002.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Who do you guys in CT and Western Mass watch? I usually watch NBC30 in New Britain. Lately I have noticed that there is a lot of disagreement over the forecast among the local stations. Just wanted to know who is thought of to be the most reliable.
  2. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

Up here in the pittsfield area i usualy watch channel 10 or 6 out of albany, and then 22 out of springfield. They are rarely all in the same ballpark.

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

They all suck. I check out the radar and forecast products at intellicast.com then stick my head out the window...
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

channel 8 seems to always hold back on their forecasts. if you look at their high temps for the 8 day, they are always way milder than the other stations, and then when that day gets there they moderate it alot. i watch wfsb. they are talking about a pattern change next week, but they dont have a clue, so im going to start getting the equipment ready for cleanups
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I was just interested in who watches who. None have been very accurate IMO. I agree with looking out the window. Just interesting to see the difference among the local stations as well as the large national forecasts that can be seen.
  6. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We watch Channel 3 and Channel 30, Channel 8 seems to be more geared toward the Shoreline so they seem to be off alot with the temps and accumulation. I try to watch them all, 8,3,30 and TWC and make an average if a storm is coming. All I can say is that my guys are sick of washing and cleaning all the trucks and equipment, we will have the cleaniest and shineist equipment out there this spring. Just My two cents
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I can't get any stations within Maine and my area won't allow cable, so I use a dish. My "local" channels are from Atlanta, Ga and Los Angeles CA. We also get to watch the car chases on the California freeways.:cool:
  8. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

Atlanta and LA huh? You are probably seeing a more accurate forcast than we are then.... My dad usually has channel 8 on but I agree that it's gear more towards the shorline than here... in fact I don't think any of them are ever very close... it's like the Northwestern part of the state doesn't exist...
  9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

You know how it is...it could be raining in Winsted center but yet have 6 inches snow in Norfolk. I think the weather guessers pretty much assume that you guys in that area are pretty much on your own forecast-wise.
  10. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

yeah that's true. I've seen many times where I'd be out plowing 2 feet of snow and then come home ans listen to them talking about the big 6 inch storm they had in Hartford... the worst time I can remember was one year they told us we were going to get 10 to 12 inches and I woke up to 4 feet that I had to plow. The best way to forcast weather is the way my granfather used to do it.. He was the boss of the State highway crew and would get up every hour and go outside to look... He'd even go out and rub his foot on the road to see how slippery it was... He always did that even though he hadn't worked for the State since before I was born. I guess you just can't get snow out of your blood.
  11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I am in the same boat. Though not in the true Northwest corner I am in the Western part. Same thing here we never get much attention.
  12. Grant

Grant Member

Here in Columbia, we always seem to be on the border of any storm---shoreline snow or rain, snow from a northwestern storm, buried from a nor'easter that anything west of Hartford never even saw. Always a crapshoot. Or just plain nothing!!!
    We still have March and early April to go...
  13. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I like NECN best of all, besides, I think JC is one hot lady.

14. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey guys,
    I'm here on the coast, and they don't get it right here either. They only ignore you in that they don't mention your area by name. Just cuz they mention us, doesn't mean they are any more correct, BUT to answer the question I usually check 8 and 30 as well as 7 out of New York. Then using Bill's method of looking out the window I come up with my own forecast blend.
  15. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

Sorry, I never meant to say they are ever right... just that channel 8 gears its forecast towards the shore and that 3 and 30 tend to gear theirs towards the Hartford area.... none of them are ever right and very seldom even close. The window method is still your best bet.