1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ct snowstorm october 29-30

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by mjlawncare, Oct 30, 2011.

1. mjlawncare

mjlawncare Senior Member

ended up with 15-16 inchs in my town heres a few pics

october snow 11.jpg
  2. mjlawncare

mjlawncare Senior Member

another pic cpl piles

snow fun.jpg
  3. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

Is this the earliest youve plowed in your area?
  4. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

My parents are in Newtown and they said they got 15" with 97% of the town without power and they were given a week ETA for power to be back. Thank god I split wood for them the last time I went to visit them. My friend is also a fire Lt. near there and he said they ran 168 wires down calls from the time it started snowing. CRAZY!

I'm ready for some snow up here in Central Michigan! We are ready with the exception of moving our skid steers, back hoe, and wheel loader to the sites.
  5. mjlawncare

mjlawncare Senior Member

yes this is deff the most snow we have seen in october it has snowed before a few inchs in october but nothing like this there are trees and powerlines down everywhere blocking roads couldnt make it to a commercial account because of downed trees laying across the roads
  6. mjlawncare

mjlawncare Senior Member

this is a funeral home i take care off 3 trees this size downed in the parkinglot

7. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

holy crap! in providence we had zilch
  8. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

9. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

I laughed when I seen this.
  10. mjlawncare

mjlawncare Senior Member

it was like driving through a maze on alot of roads trees everywhere
  11. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

And the tree huggers complain when the towns and utility companys want to cut to protect the wires from damage. Our town did some major cutting the last 2 years and we had minor damage this storm. Towns around us look like a war zone.
  12. mjlawncare

mjlawncare Senior Member

war zone is the perfect word looks like a bomb went off in alot of spots
  13. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we were preety bad also. only saw about 6-8 in north middlesex county. but town looked like a warzone. most roads in town are passible but still have a few that you cant get down
  14. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

^^ Too funny! ^^
  15. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Where I live in Lake Carmel, NY got 16-18", my excavating shop in Poughkeepsie got 6" only 30 minutes away--1000' difference in elevation.Sat. Night had me on pins and needles-- took a back road to avoid the morons on the main road--couldn't make 1 steep hill with my snowmobile trailer with my generator on it,slid backwards 50',jacknifed with the trailer hanging over the cliff.I have no idea how all of a sudden I was able to get going with the trailer jammed up against my trucks rear tire with all that snow and ice and then with the tires clawing for traction I made it up the mountain.10 minutes later now on the main road, a guy slams into the side of the trailer--only harm was to his car. Then sliding for 45 minutes on a state road (Rt. 52) with app. 12" of snow, trees and wires down every 1000' or so.Then at 10 Pm to fire up the generator.NOT FUN!!
  16. mjlawncare

mjlawncare Senior Member

defff made a big difference in elevation my town averages 800 -1000 ft and we had alot more snow then some of the surrounding towns that are 500-700ft elevation but all and all didnt matter wat elevation you were at trees and powerlines were down every where and yes the roads wee super slick especially the first hour or 2 wen it was sticking to the pavement i almost went off the road my self in 4wheel and good tires
  17. braceyaself

braceyaself Member
    from ct

war zone is perfect. We got hammered!
  18. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i'm in newtown - power is now 95% out. estimates are for sunday night - a full 8 days without power... i got the woodstove cranking and brought in a half cord the day before the storm.
  19. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

No kidding. I grew up there. Live off Toddy Hill. Luckily my uncle lives in Wilton and they have power so my parents have been driving over there to sleep, eat, and take showers.
  20. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

mj, im a volunteer firefighter for wolcott, a lot of roads looked like a war zone. we were out nonstop throughout the storm.