1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ct poor quality salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fireside, Jan 18, 2015.

1. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Anyone having problems with the white salt from GT? I have had mine in a building dry since August. I have never seen salt get that hard almost unusable at times. The pile has a 12" plus crust and huge chunks in the rest after you break thur. No such thing as loading the trucks quick. You have to run it over the pile than do it again just to use it.Just wondering if anyone else is having the problem.

2. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Yeah we have a load that got delivered in november that keeps freezing up on us. Its stored in a hoop house so it should stay dry. Only thing i could think is that we've just had a tremendous amount of moisture in the air from all the rain we've been getting. Never had that issue before. Im gonna go pick up 50 gallons of Magic O and mix it in this week. Hopefully that will help

3. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

We have Magic Minus Zero for sale, please feel free to contact us.

4. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

condensation

5. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Had a load of the real Magic Salt freeze up this morning. Never had that happen before

6. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Yup. I only use magic. If it gets below like 15 out and its in my sander over night my vbox always tunnels out and i have to poke it down. I swear its wet everytime i get it.

7. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Well I hear rumors towns are pissed about the salt. One town refused the 400 tons they were sent today. Another town has broken 2 chains because of the salt. Going to get interesting! I'm so tired to spending a half hour running salt over just to load a truck. Than to have the salt balls clog the chute is getting real old quick. Whats even worst the pile of the crap is still huge at the port do to no snow into the last week.
    If I were to find magic liquid and treat the salt piles would that keep the pile soft? My plan is to grind it up with the Harley rake. Let me know your thoughts

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  8. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Have heard a couple muni trucks in town have broken chains last storm

9. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Yeah my buddy snapped his chain on his 4yd downeaster. It only had maybe half a yard of salt in it too.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's bad salt if it's breaking conveyor chains.

11. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Yep talked to a few more guys today. They to are having the same problems running the salt.

12. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I just had the opposite happen.Got 22 tons delivered last week and it was white instead of their usual yellowish color.The grains of salt were huge,the size of raisonettes.It was the driest salt I've ever seen, salt dust was blowing in my face when moving pile inside.Also it was like the sand in a hourglass,one of my trucks was behind me and called me on radio and told me I was salting the whole road.Every bump got it coming out of every space between my utg salter and truck body.Spread most of that load and it worked as expected.Guess I got my moneys worth,dry load.

13. fireside

fireside Senior Member

my loads were white and dry as a bone also. Yes they also had lots of fines. I think the fines are the problem. They a wicking up moisture is my thought. I'm going to make a trip down there on tue.

14. leigh

from CT

Let us know what you find out.My friend subs for them with his triaxle,I'll ask him if he's heard anything.I'll need another load after Mondays storm,was thinking of trying a load of treated and see what the deal is with that stuff.

15. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

Ive had the same problem, every load tunnels, been clumping like crazy off the pile. Ive been back dragging of the pile and restacking multiple times before loading and still getting clumps

16. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Someone made mention that the salt has a problem with the anti caking additive or lack of! That would make total sense to what I'm seeing this year. I went down to get a load of magic the other day. It ran no better than the straight salt with Hugh salt balls jamming the chute. I saw the straight salt pile with chunks as big as the loaders.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly. Chains are breaking because they are worn or are catching on something. I do hate lumpy salt though.

18. leigh

from CT

Just got another load from gt today.This load was different than the last load I described. The last load had large sized granules and was extremely dry with dusty fines.That load spread just fine.The only thing I noticed was it was finding ways out of my utg sander while driving.This load had smaller granules and no dusty fines.Did have some softball sized clumps,but they were soft and broke up easily.Nothing that I would not expect though.

19. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have heard that many suppliers are trying to cash in on the treated, mixing their own with salt that has gotten wet mistakenly thinking it is an easy process, the ingredients keep it from freezing. The truth is that if you use wet salt, that salt can only absorb a certain amount of moisture and your variances will be off, and with the cold temperatures frozen treated.

20. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i would think a rotor-tiller would work and do more at a time...just a thought