1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CT Magic Prices

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by FIREMAN Q, Oct 1, 2005.

1. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

Does anyone know what the magic prices are in CT. I can't seem to get a price from the local dist. i am interested in bagged prices and in just buying the liquid and doing it myself.

Also does anyone know in what amounts you can get the liquid in. I am interested in a 55g drum.

2. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

i finally got the price for the magic. i had to call someone out of my area since my local dist. still wont' call back :angry: . Bulk magic is 130 a ton. SO now i have another question. I broke the ton down into 50 lb increments. If i did the math correctly it would be about 3.25 cost for that 50 lbs. my first thought is just to apply it for $10 for every 50lbs that i estimated for the bid. ie a lot that requires 800lbs (i'm using the sand/salt ratio) i would charge $160.

I know that i will use less material using magic but i figured this way if i needed extra for a storm that it would be covered.

Does this sound about right. I also understand it depends on the area rates but i looking for the average.

thanks

3. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

Firemann q, how do you determine how much magic salt are you going to be using per lot. I am starting this year using magic salt and I still haven't figure it out how much to use.

4. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Start with about a third less than white salt. Adjust based on temperature, moisture, etc.

As for pricing, you should be able to get double what you have in it plus truck time.

5. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

SIR,

Since i am starting using it as well i may not be the best one to ask. I have asked a few questions on sand/salt per acre and the round about answer is about 600-800lbs. this is a round about number. Everyone says that magic salt is about 2/3 the amount you would use with the mix. I am still using the mix rate when i price the lot.

so if it would take 800lbs of mix then i will charge that rate with the magic. the actual cost per 50lb is around $3. i figured $10 was an easy number to price out.

The way i see it, i am more than tripling my cost plus i will use less so I will make more $$$ that way.

Since it is my first year using magic i'm not sure how it will spread. This way i cover my butt.

Hope this helps

:drinkup:

6. telc

telc Junior Member

Do you guys know where I can purchase Magic Salt bagged in New Haven area of CT? I want to purchase a small amount to test it out. Do any retail locations carry it?

7. chaos270

chaos270 Junior Member
    from CT

This was an old post, but to answer your question the distributor in Middletown sells bulk and bagged Magic. He was very helpful with to me when I had to bid a facility that specced Magic.
    I have since tried a load of bulk from Allied in Mystic. It works great as a pretreatment to keep things from adhereing to the pavement not so good if ice has formed.

8. fireside

fireside Senior Member

GT terminal in new haven sells it 115 per ton. Bill will let you talk a bucket to try. They are the supplier for most of the towns using it.

9. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

I have used magic salt for 3 years now. The info I recieved years ago claimed 9 to 17 lbs would cover 1500 sf. I have found that to be real close depending on conditions and type of spreader being used for application.