1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CT - Guys Heres A New One

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BillyRgn, Feb 24, 2007.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Riding around with my buddy the other night in hamden with the plow on, and got pulled over for a tail light out, no big deal just a warning, however, the cop was explaining to us, that if you are plowing within 25 feet of a public road, you have to have some sort of flashing amber light or your four way flashers on by law . We have never herd of such a thing even though both are fleets truck are equipped with at least some sort of amber light, can anyone contest to this being true or was the cop talking out of his a** because i have asked other cops in the same town about amber lights and plowing and all they said was if your on a road and the lights on, you need a permit, is this something new ????
  2. go plow

go plow Senior Member

its true, you do need a permit, ive found that the law is not enforced. its funny because when i got my permit, i had a hard time finding were to get it, then, you have to get it signed by the chief of police, so i went to the police department asked to have the permit signed, he said ive never heard of such permit, and then said that they pull people over that dont have them not the ones that do! then explained that if they see some one that has lights, they are being safe and dont bother them. i think that the state of ct. just wants money for everything...its a joke! some things i can understand, the worst thing ive delt with in the state of ct. is when i got my lic.. i asked were i needed to go to school or class to get my lic. they laughed at me, i got the old, WELL NO SIR. YOU DONT NEED TO GO TO SCHOOL ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS SENT A CHECK FOR $160 AND YOU WILL GET IT IN THE MAIL IN 10 DAYS! but then they preach about people not having a lic to work in ct. so now you have people with a lic. but yet they still dont know what they are doing! the state of ct. is turning into a insurance company, they want their money, but when you need them ,they dont have anything to offer you!
  3. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

right, i know you need a permit for strobes, however the cop told me, i have to have my four way flashers on or an amber colored light if i was plowing within twenty five feet of a public road, i was just under the impresion that you did not have to have anything on, but if you want a strobe you need a permit
  4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

As far as I'm aware here in WI we don't need a permit but I'm sure there IS some sort of law to have a amber flashing light which can be seen 360* around the vehicle. technically they also have a law that your license plate can't be covered over by things like snow(on the step bumper) or a salter unit. The plate should be mounted elseware for easy viewing. Makes sense to me. Since the first time out 13 yrs ago plowing I've always had some kind of warning light. Its for your own protection anyhow.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

its the law here that you have to have one whenever you are plowing

JPMAKO Senior Member

Even if it was not a law I would have one simply for the reason that if you are backing out of a driveway and some idiot comes flying down the street (Not like this ever happens) and slams into the side of your truck, you can tell the insurance company that you had emergency warning lights and that your truck is highly visible from great distances. This would probably help them fight the other insurance company.