1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CT Blizzard Dealer

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by dukeman1019me, Feb 6, 2008.

1. dukeman1019me

dukeman1019me Junior Member

Any of you guys from CT use the dealer in Waterbury? Its only about 20 mins from my house and gave me a price of around 4200-4500 for an 860 speedwing installed. I am still browsing and don't plan to buy until summer / fall unless I have a good sized tax return :)

BTW its going on a 04 Chevy 2500HD

Thanks for any input.

Chris

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

how far are you willing to travel?

If you jump on 95 you can probably save a ton of money up here. But let me just say before everyone points it out in capital letters, you are apparently supposed to buy from your local dealer so he will give you service after the purchase, during the storm. Personally I don't know of any dealer that opens during a storm, but maybe that's just my area. But if you want to save money on your purchase you may want to check out Portsmouth Ford. Probably only a couple hour ride for you.

3. dukeman1019me

Ya someone else mentioned doing the same thing. Might be time to schedule a nice "work day" up there soon.

Thanks

4. ram1500

ram1500 Member
    from ma

Do yourself a favor don't go to NH. Buy local !!! You may save money in the short term by going there but when you need service are you really going to drive 3-4 hours in a snowstorm back to NH to get that plow fixed. When that plow breaks many local dealers will make you wait several days after the storm before they will even look at it. Right away you will begin to loose thousands especially if you have accounts. The inital savings may not outweigh the longterm savings.

5. dukeman1019me

I agree with all of that too... i have a couple of months of waiting until i can afford it anyway, I will prolly stay local, the dealer i spoke with was pretty cool.

Now i just need to wrestle with the what plow do i want question

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Like I said. If you want to save money you can, but if service is important to you buy local. Not saying you shouldn't buy local, just pointing out there are options.

I took my Blizzard to the dealer once (not Portsmouth Ford) when I first got it for a problem and to have it all gone through. He found and fixed a loose wire behind the connect switch, and sprayed wd-40 on a few things to make it look like he had worked on it. But he actually did nothing else to it. Didn't even change the fluid. He is not close enough to me for service during a storm anyway, and I wasn't really impressed with his "complete service". I highly doubt that he opens during storms or at night. Anyway, every other time I've had a problem I've gotten out of the truck and fixed it myself. I'm not a real mechanic, but it's just a snowplow, it isn't rocket science. Not sure what it would take to get me to a dealer for work, but I've got pretty much all the systems on the 810 figured out. And my plow is very old and beat. If I were to buy a new plow, I would really hope it wouldn't have serious problems I couldn't repair myself. A new plow really shouldn't have any problems at all if it's installed and used properly.
    JMO. If I were buying a new plow and could save a few hundred by driving to Ct I would. But service isn't big to me because I can fix most little plow things.

7. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

I saved myself about $1000 bucks by buying form PS Ford in NH, $800 cheaper for the plow and $200 in tax savings. I did speak to the Waterbury guy and he did seem cool, but money talks in my mind. I can't really speak for service as I do this part time and only take care of about 7 driveways, so worst case I snowblow them.