1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cruise control??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dieselman19, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

i have a 2000 f -350 ext cab pick up and the second week i had the cruise control stopped working, im told it is the spring under the switch on the steering wheel. I wondering how hard it is to replace? Is the air bag hard to take out and put back in? Any suggestions or steps to doing this job would be appreciated. Or is it to much and i should take it to a garage to have done

Thanks
    Bob

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The spring you are referring to is called the clockspring- it is the connection from the steering wheel electronics to the steering column.

Unless you have diagnosed it yourself (which I gather you have not) I would suggest diagnosing it yourself OR having it diagnosed by a good shop before trying to replace it. Clocksprings are rarly the fault. They are the same mechanism that connects the horn button in the steering wheel from back in the 1950's, and rarly fail on such a new vehicle. Odds are it's something else.

IF however it is the clockspring: If you have tio ask about airbag systems removal, don't do it. the actual mechanics of removing the bag cartridge and wheel is not tough, but it can be tricky, dangerious and easily screwed up. you will need a steering wheel puller and the service info (with airbag suppliment which may not be part of the manual) as a minimum.

You have to remove the bag cartridge, steering wheel, probabily cruise switch module from the wheel, and possibly the lock cylinder. Remember the bag cartridge is an explosive device, there are certain procedures you must follow for safety- it's not like changing wheel bearings or shocks- if it goes off while you're removing it you can be seriously hurt. The conditions during attempting to service it and when you're in an accident where it deploys are completely different, remember.

I'm all for self repair, but if you don't know airbags don't risk it (plus they are expensive as all geck ro replace if it does trigger)

3. Dieselman19

ok so from everything i have heard on my truck i would gather that it isnt the clockspring, where else should i look, someone told me that there is another switch on the mastercylinder that could be bad, does anyone know how to check that? Or any other ideas?

thanks
    Bob Haak

4. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Cruise Control help

Unfortunately Todays Modern Automotive Electronics have taken away the Diagnostic Capabilities from Vehicle Owners and Backyard mechanics.That is not to say That people are Stupid.That is to say that Diagnostic Equipment is Kept by the manufacturers at High Cost.You have to be willing to spend $2500.00 and up to purchase these aids and just to diagnose one problem that cost cant be justified.At some point The cost of these aids will come down thru competition.You cant just point and say change your Points and Condenser and it will Run better anymore.Sad but true Most problems need complex diagnosing and this must be done at Equipped Facilities.The Manufacturers have Learned That Service Dollars are just as good as Purchase Dollars. Sorry Friend Just the Facts:realmad: :realmad:

5. RJ snow

RJ snow Member

Although I'm not a Ford guy, I'd check for vacuum hoses and canisters for leaks or broken hoses unless you are sure its electrical. I think it'll also have a cruise module too which may also have loose or broken wires or connections. As for the brake switch that will be on the brake light switch used to deactivate the system when braking...check by your brake pedal for that switch. (probably not the problem) Cruise isn't that complicated itself just where they installed the components is.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

yeah, you both are right. The computer in the truck will probabily tell you with the help of an OBD2 code reader (rentable at most autoparts stores.....)

aside from that check vacuum lines for leaks, check the switch on the brake pedal (it may use the stoplight switch or have it's own switch), check the electrical connections relating to the system componants- it could be an electronic system or a vacuum system. Odds are both are involved. There should also be a vacuum switch somewhere under the hood to let the system know you have vacuum- if there is no vacuum the cruise system will not likely function. Look for a round thing bolted under the hood with a single vacuum line going to the center of one side and a 2 wire connector coming off the side.

If they all check out I would rent an OBD2 reader, it plugs in under the dash. It could be really simple or it could be a vehicle speed sensor has gone bad so the cruise does not know how fast the truck is actually going.

7. bjucka2

bjucka2 Junior Member
    from Mass

Ford had a recall for cruise control problem, chech and see if it was covered. Didnt pay attention to what it was for, but they did something to my 2000 f150

8. Dieselman19

how do i go about finding out about recalls by ford?

Thanks
    Bob

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

you could search the web, try dieseltruckresource.net (.com?) or call your local dealer- they'll be able to tell you by your VIN if you're truck is under recall for anything and the recall history (what's already been fixed under recall).

10. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Regardless if it's a recall or not, visit your local Ford dealer today......:waving: