1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Brad M., Mar 2, 2004.

1. Brad M.

Brad M. Member
    from Texas

I have a 2003 2500HD Siverado, basic truck. Would like to install cruise control and would like to hear ideas if anyone has any to share. Best aftermarket products, what to stay away from, etc. Appreciate any and all info, thanks...

2. long0

long0 Senior Member

I have an 01 Sierra that I am looking at doing the same to. From the research I have done, it all depends on what motor you have. The Duramax and 8.1's have no throttle linkage - Throttle is controlled via wire. The rest of the motors all have linkage for throttle control. One guy I talked to found a wrecked Duramax that had cruise, pulled the blinker lever off, installed it in his truck and installed a fuse in the appropriate slot and had he was up and running.

Wrecked late model vehicles are hard to come by around here, expecially since I need one that has an 8.1 in it. I am not sure if the Duramax and the 8.1 are interchangable, but if I find a Duramax, I'm snagging it to try it out.

As far as any other motor, I have no idea what the best way to go is. Somebody else might be able to chime in.

Andy

3. Brad M.

Brad M. Member
    from Texas

I have the 6.0 under the hood, thanks for the info. Will do some more research myself. Take care...

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

5. Brad M.

Brad M. Member
    from Texas

Best I have found so far is letting the dealer put a factory cruise on for a mere 300 bucks. I guess at the very least it will be done right with GM equipment. Claim the puter will have to be programmed since it does not currently have it. What do you folks think about that?

6. long0

long0 Senior Member

300 dollars sounds like a good deal. When I first started my quest for cruise, the dealer around here quoted me $2,800 - and they were not even sure if they could get it to work. If you do decide to have the dealer do it, please get me the name and number of the dealer - Maybe I can get my dealer to talk to them and get the price down.

Thanks,

Andy