1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

crossover relief valves wont come out

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BAMFM7, Dec 25, 2010.

1. BAMFM7

BAMFM7 Junior Member
    from Elko mn

Does any body have any tricks on how to remove the relief valves when they are stuck? I already broke 2 screw drivers trying to remove them. one is bad, my blade will not hold angle. I have a ultra mount pro-plus

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

WELL YOU CAN GO TO WESTERN BUY A NEW VALVE AND DRILL THE OLD ONE OUT BUT YOU HAVE TO WATCH THAT YOU DONT STRIP THE ALUMINUM VALVE BODY OR YOU CAN TRY SOAKING IT WITH PB BLASTER AND TRY TAKING IT OUT AGAIN BUT SPRAY AND KEEP SPRAYING FOR A COUPLE DAYS AND THEN TRY IT :mechanic:

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Or maybe if your careful you can hit it with heat (lightly), let it cool then try to remove it..

4. papaMoose

papaMoose Junior Member

I am not 100% familiar with the valves you are having trouble with, but for plugs and other items with an o-ring seal, a good hit from a hammer, maybe with a punch depending on where it is, and it should loosen up...

5. BAMFM7

BAMFM7 Junior Member
    from Elko mn

Got them out. I had to drill them. An imact driver didnt work. I even tried heating with a torch.

6. twinman326

how does the treads look?

7. BAMFM7

BAMFM7 Junior Member
    from Elko mn

The threads were completly gone in the first one I drilled out. I had to re thread the end of the hole and make an adaptor to hold the relief in. The second one I drilled out I was able to clean up the threads with a tap and it was ok. I have about 2 hours of plow time on it since the repair and it is working great. Thanks

8. twinman326

glad you resolve the problem

Good luck, and safe plowing.........