1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cross traffic in private lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by streetsurfin', Feb 6, 2004.

1. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

How do you guys handle parking lots where people use them to cut through to other properties. I've tried piling snow in all the entrances, but it seems people will still try to crash through it so they can drive on your freshly plowed lot instead of using the alley which isn't plowed yet. I had one guy cut right in front of me when I was near the end of my pass. He gunned it and I narrowly avoided crushing his car. He, however could not turn it in time to avoid hitting a curb and blowing out a tire. I enjoyed watching him change his tire in ten inches of snow, while I finished the lot.:D
  2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Ram Him with the blade or get close to them and turn on the salt spreader. .......................Just kidding
  3. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

Make Your snow piling HIGHER..! :drinkup: :gunsfiring:
  4. Manx

Manx Senior Member

It's just part of the game
    God sprinkled a few idiots in there just to keep it interesting :)
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Little known, but true. In Iowa, it is illegal to drive through ("cutting through") a gas station without stopping. Stopping at the exit didn't count. Most stations were at intersections. By cutting through the station, you would avoid traffic at stop sign or red light.
  6. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I'm pretty sure cutting through a gas station on a corner is illegal, and enforced, in New York.

7. boehmri

boehmri Junior Member

It is definitely against the law in New York State. Below is the excerpt from the NYS Vehicle and Traffic (VAT) law:

§ 1225. Avoiding intersection or traffic-control device. No person shall drive across or upon a sidewalk, driveway, parking lot or private property, or otherwise drive off a roadway, in order to avoid an intersection or traffic-control device.
  8. DJL

DJL Senior Member

In New Jersey, it is illegal to do a "cut-through" through a parking lot. I know someone who got a ticket/fine for it.

The lot we do only has one way in and one way out so we don't have that problem. The problem we do have is the people that arrive for work and park right in the way of us moving snow the snow to the back of the lot. To help alleviate the problem, we work the lot to open up the spaces that seem to fill up first, second, and so on. That way, when they come in that area is already serviced and we don't have to avoid backing over them.

Perhaps you could open up a lane for them to drive in so it's out of your way? I know this might be a pain, but it might avoid possible accidents and future headaches.

Another thing, I would make sure you have some type of blinking light or rotating beacon on your truck. That way, if an accident does occur you can say...(1) they went through a pile of snow, (2) into the lot I was plowing, while the other was empty, (3) they were cutting through the lot, (4) all the while a big a$$ blinking caution light was operating!!
  9. streetsurfin'

The lot I referred to was a couple years ago, I did as a sub. It was surrounded with entrances; 4 in the alley, and 3 on the street. On the other side of the alley was a bank(atm) so there was traffic at all hours. You make all good points DJL. I did and do use a large grote beacon, but you can never have too many lights. Well, I guess you can- then your battery will let you know.
  10. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

I have orange traffic cones at my shop. If I know Im going to be plowing during the morning rush hour, I grab them so I can "Idiot proof" my work area. Of course, there are the whack jobs that drive right the hell over them, but most people just turn around and go another way.
  11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I tried that " bait-em with nice parking" kinda thing, most times they too lazy to take the bait. Or stupid!
    I have a drug store that has a bar parking lot behind it and a street starts at the back of both lots. And usually I start the lot at 2AM, just in time for drunks leaving and drunks cutting through to the street at the back. I have seen them go near airborne hitting my rows of snow,they just keep going. I try to get the route through the lot done first so I don't have to dodge drunks or stop a good push. This chain of drug stores are using little flat white shopping carts, no chrome, no color. They blend right in with the snow, blammo another bent one!
  12. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Maybe the plowing community could get together and come up with a pamphlit that we could attach to the windshields of cars. Something along the lines of "Do you realize I almost turned your corrola into a pancake b/c you HAD to get this spot!!" Maybe those oblivious ones would start realizing what they are doing.
  13. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

i agree with DJL we plow a walmart that have a MILLION idiots in it. we had a RV the other day try cutting off our loader and lost...:drinkup: now they have one nice window in the back half of the RV :)

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

If you think people have no regard for the Snowplow you are right. Try driving a Tow truck! It's worse!
  15. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

How about when they pull up in front of the area you are plowing while you are making a turn around get out of the vehicle and give you a bad a$$ stare like they want to kick the crap out of you because they got a big dollar excursion. tell ya what i get my chance I'll stack the piles high around him and he'll get to see if that excursion was worth the dollars.:angel:
  16. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

17. some people are truely stupid. I plow my lot at work and it's a pizza place on the corner of 2 busy streets and next to us, connected to out lot, is a pretty busy party store and bar. You wouldn't believe (well actually you guys know too) how many people cut through our lot and have no idea what you are doing and will either drive in front or behind you when you are making passes. And the looks they give you! Oh and btw, it's illeagal to cut through a parking lot to avoid a traffic light in michigan too. I hate <some> people. It's nice to know I'm not alone! :D

BigDawg--sometimes I think there is no such thing as idiot proof. :dizzy:
  18. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

ppl are very stupid, remember how i told you our loader took out that RV, well a guy yesterday rear ened the loader... how did he not see it? I mean if i had a 2003 John Deere 644H in my way i would notice it...
  19. streetsurfin'

Here's a similar story, although there was no snow. It was frosty out, early winter. We were staged with semi's at an intersection waiting to start a job. The loader was crossing thru the intersection with the green light and a car ran the red. THe buckets teeth opened up the whole side of the car and sent it upside down in the ditch. When the cops arrived, the inside of the windshield was still frosted over, all but the area the driver had taken time to clean, about the size of a hand.
  20. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

streetsurfin hope the driver was ok and hopefully the moron learned a lesson. The best time to plow is with no people around but that is difficult, the weather doesnt cooperate.