1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crooked garage or just bad luck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BPK63, Sep 15, 2006.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Have a 92 pickup. Took it to the shop for a few things that are easier to just have done rather than crawl underneath myself. While there I told them to look at the check engine light on. I pulled the code a few weeks ago at the parts store which was a coolant sensor. Figured just have em do it while there for other stuff. They call and tell me there is no response from the ECM and they need to replace at 400 bucks. Bad luck that it was bad or crooked garage? This place has been pretty good over the years but it just sounds fishy to me.

2. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

why don't you get a second opinion from a chevy dealer?

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'd confirm that before I drop $400 on a new computer. Maybe take it to another shop or something or stop by yourself and ask them to go over it with you and show you why it's not working. It does not mean they are trying to rip you off, but maybe they are doing something incorrect with their diagnostic equipment.

4. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Yeah I've never known the guy to rip me off it just sounds suspicious. Think I'll take it back to the parts store and see if their scan tool still pulls the code. That's the easiest thing to do. Also the guy is too busy now to take good care of customers. He used to be good about gettin the car back to you in a day. Now he has 5 hoods up in his lot at any one time. Not good for customers. You have to wait for days.

5. irocz600hp

irocz600hp Member

the parts store

From experience some of the fellow parts stores don't no how to read a code where supposed to tell you it says coolant temperature sensor not that it is the coolant temperature sensor.I t could be a bad wire going to the sensor it could be a bad computer it could be a bad sensor but where only supposed to lead u in the right direction. THE MAGIC WORD IS COULD BE. and the computer does not cost 400 dollars no More then a hundred and u could change it faster then u can do the sensor

6. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

This sort of thing happens all the time. Even dealership techs fall prey to the same mistakes. It's not that they are trying to rip you off, it's just that they aren't going to spend the time to exhaust every other possibility first.

"The scanner doesn't communicate with the ECU, there must be a problem with the ECU. Simple. Of course, there could be a bad connection somewhere, but why look for that?"

Sometimes the ECU sees normal readings from the sensors, so it looks like the sensors are functioning, but the bad info getting sent to the ECU makes the tech think it must be a bad ECU.

7. M&N Maintenance

M&N Maintenance Junior Member

Could be tech made mistake in diagnosis. Or parts counter guy made mistake. If you have no problems with truck at this time like stalling or no start I would not rec an ecm. I would just have them replace coolant temp sensor and clear codes.