1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Critique my setup!

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by dingo151, Sep 14, 2008.

1. dingo151

dingo151 Junior Member
    from Idaho

Hey everybody!

I'm building up a Wrangler to do small lots and driveways around town. Can you guys give me a heads up as to what's not going to work. I'm a newbie so it's kind of a shot in the dark.

Starting with a 91 Wrangler with a 4.0 and a 5 speed.
    Dana 30 in the front with air locker 4:56 gears
    Dana 35 in the rear with air locker and full floater kit 4:56 gears
    Pro comp coil suspension kit (basicly like a TJ)
    33" tires
    Western 7.5 plow - Straight blade

I'll have to build a mount because they don't make a mounting kit but that shouldn't be too hard. Ideas, problems?

Thanks
    Dean

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

With 33's, gearing, lockers and all the weight from the plow/ballast I'd be concerned about snapping axle shafts. The Dana 30/35 aren't known for their strength.

If it were me, new heavy duty leafs front and rear, some 235/75/15's put the plow on and call it a day.

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

check with plowmeister. from what i see he has some time in his setup and seems to know his sh*t.

:nod:

4. dingo151

dingo151 Junior Member
    from Idaho

Plowmeister.....any suggestions

5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

That jeep is going to be great for driveways, prob the best vehicle to use for driveways! Good luck!

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You have an excellent driveway machine there

I used the YJ platform for 12 years. the dana 35 will hold up IF you dont abuse it. that means NO spinning the tires. (I currently have Dana 30 front, Dana 60 rear in my TJ)
    you will need about 300# of weight in the back I made a steel box that bolted down where the rear seat belts attached and made 50# lead ingots to put in it.

put some air shocks up front to help hold up the plow. In the stock YJ the air shocks from the rear of a 1985 thunderberd will fit the JEEP (may need an adapter for the top shock mount don’t remember)

this is important; you are using a big plow (I used a 7 1/2 fisher RD) and the jeep is light.
    you need help with traction, get EXCELLENT SNOW tires like a blizzak. and get them in 31" size I am also running 4.56 gears in my Jeep I use 33" tires in the summer and 31" Blizzak for plowing that tire and gear work extremely well together. if you plow with 33" tires you Will burn out the clutch slipping it to control your speed OR use low range (a real PIA backing up) with 31" tires I plow all except for the heaviest snow in high range.

I have two sets of tire/rim combos Blizzak and summer tires. If Im going to go without plowing for a week or so I'll put the summer tires on and switch back to the blizzak for plowing.

Also you now have ~600# up front and 300# in the back your brakes are not up to that much weight take it easy.

AAAAA.. theirs probably more…
    O ya A friend of mine (yes I have a friend) has 3 YJs set up as described except one with 30” blizzak and 3.75 gears, one with 3.07 gears (he has to use lowrange a lot with that one).

7. dingo151

dingo151 Junior Member
    from Idaho

Where does a guy latch on to a set of these Blizzak tires? I talked to my local dealer today and he'd never heard of them. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Dean

8. theplowmeister

from MA

tirerack.com

Blizzak is made by Dunlop. the tire has a special treat compound that works fantastic on snow/ice. Lots of tire Manufacturers make similar tires.

9. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

take it easy with that locked 35

10. cjshloman

cjshloman Senior Member

Weakest link is that rear 35. Find a waggy with 44's and swap if ya got the cash, waggys will have the same width as stock, or do a built ford 8.8 rear.

11. theplowmeister

from MA

I plowed for 12 years with a Dana 35 Never had a problem my friend plows with one still. they are fine as long as you dont abuse them!!!! read that as NO SPINNING OF TIRES!! you brake the rear end when you spin the tire on snow or ice and then the tire finds pavement, the sudden traction stops the tire from spinning. Unfortunately the rest of the drive train is still going round and round and that is what brakes the rear end.:realmad:

If you have ARBs for your air locker the ARB is stronger (4 spider gears) than the stock dif (2 spider gears). that means you move up the chain to the next weekest link, that is the axles.

12. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Put an old school bus heater in the rear. This will help with the fogging up and those cold nights. My first plow truck was an 77 CJ 7. Loved pushing snow, hated scraping the inside of the windshild while driving from the inadequate heat. Great plow truck, made an custom pin mounted 7.5' Fisher set up. Way too heavy with the V8 in the front.

DAFF

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

YJ's and TJ's for sure don't suffer in the heat department working correctly in those models it will sweat you out.

14. dingo151

dingo151 Junior Member
    from Idaho

Thanks for all the ideas guys! That Dana 35 doesn't make me warm and fuzzy either. I've been thinking about building an 8.8 for the rear but I'm not sure if they are much stronger than the setup I have know. I think a Dana 60 like plowmiester has would be the way to go but boy those "60s" sure aren't cheap.

15. theplowmeister

from MA

Ford explorer R axle is almost a bolt in option. I used a Dana 60 because I wanted a revers cut to get the pinion up high. revers cut dif in the rear is weaker than a reg dif so I went to a bigger dif. When I go offroading that Dana 60 hangs so low I drag it all over the place:)

16. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Like Plowmeister said the Exploder 8.8 is a close fit, you also may be able to score a 44 from a TJ, but depending on the wheeling community in your area those may already be scavenged.

17. theplowmeister

from MA

AAAAHHHH the TJ axle will NOT fit a YJ without EXTENSIVE MODS.:eek:

18. festerw

festerw Senior Member

That's right, that's my bad :jester: I forgot the TJ's don't have REAL springs (now I'm just messing with you)

On edit, this one I for real don't know, what about a XJ 8.25 those might be a little easier to come by.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  19. dingo151

dingo151 Junior Member
    from Idaho

Hey,

Do you guys know if an 8.8 is the same axle tube size as a 35?

thanks
    Dean

20. 89MJComanche

89MJComanche Member

I second the opinion on the weak axles.

IMHO. all that you need to plow with a stock Jeep is a good set of AAL's to beef the front for the extra weight. Stick with factory gears as a little tire spin wont hurt on hard surface.

Add a set of mud slinger retreads for $40 each in the 235x75xR15 size and you are all set.

A small 6.5 foot blade is also all that you are going to want on a Jeep.

Using a lifted Jeep that is built for looks or off-road is not exactly an ideal setup.