1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crispy Garage Demo

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Mark13, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Had a day off from work due to rain the night before so figured I'd help my dad take down a crispy garage at one of our rental houses.

Before we started when I dropped the bobcat off:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Today just before we started.
    [​IMG]

Cleaned out the contents then started to take the roof off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Another of the roof comming off.
    [​IMG]

Little more progress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Done for the day.
    [​IMG]

Walls will come down Wednesday. If I'm off work which is likely due to rain I'll have pics of that.
    Also have a few more pictures on another camera, those were all from my phone.

4. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Looks like fun!

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

what happened to the siding on the house... Is that from all the heat off the garage?

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, heat from the garage melted all the siding on the back of the house and some on the driveway side, broke the 3 windows right in a row, and melted thru the power lines that were over the garage supplying the house from the back.

7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I dont think I'd want to drive a s/s into that burnt up garage,nor stand on the whats left of the roof to take it down. But thats JMO. A 5 ton mini ex and a thumb would have been perfect for that mini demo-but nothing wrong with using what you got either.

What happened that caused it to go up in flames?

8. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

It looks like somebody at least tried to put it out. I saw the small extinguisher just outside the service door. By than it was most likely a "Box" alarm! Great pics!

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I left the ss parked in it over night and was in and out of the garage a few dozen times with it yesterday. It was supposed to rain and I didn't want a cab full of water. Both my dad and I were up on the roof at one point taking out sections between the rafters. The roof over the garage door opening was very spongy and soft but the other 3 sides were still pretty solid. The building was quite strong yet even though the photo's make it look pretty sketchy. Once my dad (33yr full time firefighter) no longer felt safe on the roof he stood on the cab of the bobcat to take the rest down. It went very smooth and there were no close calls nor did anything happen that we weren't expecting.

If my dad didn't have a large knowledge of what fire damage will do to a building and what strength the garage had left after the fire I'm sure we would have taken it down a different way. But he felt this way was the best and it worked out really well.

The cause of the fire was cooking on the grill when some ashes blew into a pile of cardboard inside the garage. Took a while I guess for the cardboard to get going but once it did it didn't take to long to get the rest of the garage contents going.

Ya, I think at the point the tenants tried to use the fire extinguisher it was way to late. And it was very very windy the day it happened so the fire was getting plenty of air so it got rocking pretty quick.

10. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

dam thats like fun, why didnt you just take the bucket and slowly take the walls down and load it into containers and have it hauled off insead of taking it down piece by piece? i have never done a demo before thats why i ask!

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

We didn't want to drive in the grass with as much rain as we have gotten. Didn't want to have to relandscape half the back yard once we were done.

12. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

That looks more like a CASE than a BOBCAT... j/k LOL

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It's a Uni-Loader if you really want to get technical about it. :D

Normally I call them a Skid or Skid Steer but I originally posted this on another forum where Bobcat would probably be more along their level to know what I was talking about since it seems most generally call them Bobcat's around here no matter what brand it is.

If it was a tracked machine I could have called it a CTL and really thrown them for a loop.

14. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

why did you do it like that? I woulda just used an ex with thumb and had a dumpster??? seems dangerous to stand up on a roof and drive a machine into that??

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

See here:

Also the bobcat belongs to a friend, we would have needed to rent a mini ex. We did have a dumpster, it was out on the street. The rest of the garage will still end up in a dumpster.

16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

anymore pictures yet mark?

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, theres more but they are on my dads camera wherever that might be.

18. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Unacceptable :realmad:

:p

19. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

you've got a great phone man!

20. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

Time to raise the rent.:)