1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crew Cabs and Long Boxes?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ZoomByU, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ZoomByU

ZoomByU Member

How many people have either or both of these on their trucks? I'm just curious to the pros and cons of having a longer truck.

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

if ur plowing driveways u back out and ur all the way across the road. larger turning radius. high centerd easly. pro they ride real nice 8 ft bed hauls full sheets of drywall and ply wood on and 2x4's that r 8 ft long close the gate and away u go

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

If your sloppy or lazy don't get a cc/long bed. You do have to pay attiention while in lot's. There has only been 1 or 2 lot's over 11 seasons in which my truck was too big to do it. On the up side when you want to push a pile ... you've got it hands down.

4. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

i have a f-250-CC SB i dont mind it you just get use to it like any truck

5. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I have both... :)

They ride nice. They have room for passengers, comfortably. They haul 8' building materials w/ gate up, or up to 14-16' materials w/ gate down. They are stable when towing.

They are not as maneuverable as a standard cab shortbed, but plowing isn't the only thing I use my truck for... I own a construction company.

I won't have anything less than an 8' bed b/c I need to be able to haul as much building material, etc as possible.

I have the crewcab b/c I either haul more people or tools that I don't want stolen... Also, how far can you recline your seat in a standard cab?:sleeping:

Ever since my first crewcab longbed, I won't have anything less... Extended Cab longbeds are nice, but not as comfortable for rear passengers...

Once you get used to the length, it's no different than any other truck... I'm extremely happy w/ my current truck

6. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I hate when the people I'm hauling get stolen!!!!!!!:D

Sorry, couldn't resist!! As for the CC/LB combo, it's all about what you need your truck to do. There are times when I really wish I had the 8' bed, but thats what the trailer is for.

7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

no way id never trade my 8ft bed for a trailer. i can put 30 sheets of drywall in my bed close the gate and its not going anywhere. i can put my walk behind in my push mower back pack to trimmers and gas cans and edger and still have room for the bagger and clippings. i like my trailer but it dosent get everywhere

8. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I also have a 24' equipment trailer w/ my CAT 257B w/ 4-in-1, forks, and backhoe, so there's no room for plywood or sheetrock... And, like you said, my trailer won't go everywhere my truck will...

PS - I can't believe you've never had people you were hauling stolen? Get ready to live...

:dizzy:

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 06 f250 reg cab long bed and a 94 f250 reg cab long bed. On some tighter lots or driveways, its a bit of a pain but the long beds come in handy for the summer!

10. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

It's defenitly tougher to judge distance with cc or ec if the choice is given I would much rather plow with a reg cab.:drinkup::D

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have a crew cab but with a short box. It is not bad at all for plowing with. I do drives and well as big lots. Had an extra cab short box before and there isnt that much difference to me. Worst part is the back door windows fogging. Open them a bit and you will be fine.

12. yancy

yancy Senior Member

All of my trucks have been reg cab long beds I like them a lot with my toolbox in there I can still haul lots of things. In the fall of the year I carry a retrofitted 100lbs LP tank for a air tank it fits nice with the toolbox. The nice thing about the reg cab is I can only haul one other person sometimes thats nice.

13. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I have a GMC extended cab 8 foot box, and I love it. It can push snow like no other truck I have ever owned (and there has been a few) It just takes a little getting used to when you first start out.

14. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

IMO, short beds are a waste of time on anything bigger than a 1/4 ton pickup. I would like to see a chevy avalanche or honda ridgeline haul any kind of respectable load in the bed. With that being said, i'm not sure I would want a cc/lb truck to plow with. Not only does it take some getting used to, it may not even physically be able to plow half my drives.

15. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I agree...

Also, a CC/LB is only about 2 feet longer than a standard cab/LB... I have to backdrag about 2-3' more from the garage, before I turn around, back in, and plow the drive just like any other truck...

16. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

I have the two extremes. The F-150 is a SuperCab Short Box and is great for tight spaces, driveways, etc. I even do some of the larger sidewalks for our commercial property!!! I find you can put most things in the bed that you need to, but obviously not as convient as the long box. The F-350 is Crew Cab, Long Box, Dually, or Fat ******* as I like to refer to it. It's good for those large parking lots and private road ways. Also, the additional weight and force behind it, most of the time is plowing in 4x2. Forget it if you need to plow a tight space...

17. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

I used to have a 2500 extended cab 8' box w/Western Pro Plow on it.

It was great in a lot of respects. But turning radius, forgetaboutit. That thing needed a second zip code to make a circle if it was in 4 wheel w/the plow on!

It didn't fit in the garage either. If I had to work on it, it was outside in the cold.

But with good tires, it was a plowing monster. Nothing seemed to stop it.

When the time came, I decided to go with a smaller rig and trailer. Been working good for me. YMMV.