1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crew cab Versatility?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BeachGuy, Sep 24, 2006.

1. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Junior Member
    from CT

Hi Guys,

I currently own a 2000 SC F-350 SB v10 with a fisher straight blade. The truck has done everything I have asked. I have had to do a few of the annoying things to it (ie. replace ball joints, replace exhaust manifold bolts, brake rotor) but on the whole it has taken care of me. I am now considering a new truck (crew cab) primarily because I have twins on the way. I want to be able to put 2 car seats in the back without me riding 2 inches from the steering wheel. Ford seemed to address my complaints with the previous design in the new superdutys. However I am concerned about the turning radius/size of a crew cab. I will probably put a V plow on the new rig and still get a short bed. I am hoping between the new front suspension and the Vplow I will be close to my old set up. I plow a some small business parking lots, private road and a few residental driveways. Residental is mostly family/friends or the owners of the factories. Any insight would be great because I am going to have to decide soon...snow is coming !!!payup payup

Thanks

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Forst off, congrats on thw twins. I have an '01 F250 crew. It turns like a crew cab. It is not like driving a regular cab truck of course, but I would say that out of all the crew cabs, the Fords turn the best. I am very suprised at how well mine has done. I think it would be fine in lots, and roads as well as pretty good depending on the residentials. I love having the room of a crew cab. I was really worried about how big it was, but I got used to it pretty fast. I can get it in a parking space without an issue, so it turns well IMO, muc better than any of my old regular cab trucks.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Take the baby / infant seats you are going to use to the dealers and see if they fit.
    Take it from me a " Baby Technician " I have 3 kids that are now 11,14 & 16.
    Think about a extended cab with the mother sitting in the back and the babies in the front.
    They don't remain babies for long, a year later they are in car seats, 2 years they are in booster / car seats. About 3 -4 years they can use seat belts or booster seats.
    A crew cab's nice, but it's SOOO long, it can be a real big issue on snow plow maneuvers.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

With the new front end, you'll be able to turn tighter than your '01. You'll be fine. I have a '00 SC and a '05 CC, both short boxes and my new one out turns the old one by quite a bit.

Congratulations.

5. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

If you have kids and the truck is going to haul them, the crew cab is the way to go. I went from an ext cab to a crew cab and the difference is awesome. So much room and with three kids, you don't get kicked in the back part of your seat. I have three kids ages from 4 to 8 and they love it. As far as plowing, I got used to it fairly quickly and it hasn't slowed me down at all. I think on my truck it was only a 9-10 inch difference in length.

6. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

I have both FORD and Gm diesels go GM tighter turn radius, better built truck.

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

OK, great TT. You hate Ford. Great, we don't care. 97% of your posts are something negative about Ford. Doesn't really get your point across.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

TNT, once again you are so full of crap it isn't funny. There isn't a GM truck with the IFS that will out turn even the old style Ford front ends.

We really don't care if you just go away or go away mad, just go away.

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I think Ford puts out a real nice looking, large, crew cab. I dont know how good that would be in residential plowing, but I would have to assume the children are more important than pushing snow. From a safety aspect, I think a crew cab truck is safer than any SUV or Minivan

10. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks for the replies. Micki, my current truck is 7 years old so I am due to change it anyway. So my thinking is might as well crew cab if the new ones turn better (like Mike O said). I am considering a V plow this time also. I think that will help with any "tight spots" (maybe I am wrong). Hell First Time is getting it done with the old suspension ;)

TnT I am partial to Ford., my 00 has done alot of work for me. I think it helps that I know a VP of an auto group that has a Ford dealership. I get a pretty good "no haggle price" :nod:

Gicon you are right I can deal with a little inconvience (plowing) if the truck works better in everyday life. It looks like I am going to be Mr Mom, so this will probably be the kid hauler. Everyone says you need a minivan for the room. JRK, what has more room than a Crew Cab with a nice tonneau cover. (Well maybe me and the girls will cruise in the SRT-8 when summer get here:D )

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  11. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

The New fords turn radius is awesome.. my 06 550 will turn tigher than a regualar size truck or even an SUV. you shouldent have a problem with the crew/plow

12. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i have a crew cab dodge and i think its fine on turning dont get me wrorng a reg cab is awesome but i have no real problems

13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I know what ya mean man. I was Mr. Mom for a long time. My youngest, now 11 used to love to do the side walks ( 6 Y/O ) with his kid size snow shovel while Dad plowed the lot.
    He rode in the baby seat and watched plowing before that.
    I just like having a smaller truck to get in and out of the places I plow.
    A crew cab is JUST SOOO LONG.

14. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats I have twins as well. They are 13 now and they are the reason I went from regular cab, to super cab, then to crew cab.

I was driving an 02 super cab F-250 w/6ft bed and was reluctant to go to the crew-cab because i thought it would be huge and plow like a bus. For the heck of it one day I went to a dealer and lined my 250 up tp a new F-350 Crew cab with a 6 ft box and was surprised that it was only about 10-12'' longer and subsequently bought one. Don't be afraid you wont regret it.