1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Crew cab plowing?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by trevier, Dec 19, 2013.

1. trevier

trevier Senior Member

Anyone plow with a crewcab shortbed? If so how is the turning radius on them? thanks matt

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Just a little worse than a regular cab long box.

3. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

not bad if you have a football field :D

4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Depends. My '00 Ford crew was horrible. My '12 Ford crew is amazing. Turns in a dime and is the most comfortable rig I've been in to date.

5. trevier

trevier Senior Member

I plowed with a 96 f250 regular cab long bed for 10 years, no different than my 07 chevy 1/2 ton extended cab short bed. Maybe I'll have to test drive one to see how it is.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Biggest thing with the crew cab is the lack of visibility.

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I only use my mirrors to back up and the only thing that could be more congested than some of what I plow is the freeway. My truck came w/ a 4" lift on it. I was going to remove it, but quickly realized how much better my visibility had improved for my peripheral vision. Cleaning up tight parking spaces can be a bit more of a challenge, but w/ the V plow it's really not an issue. Depends on what your used to I guess. For me, the benefits far out weight the negatives.

8. KGI

KGI Junior Member

Terrible, there's aircraft carriers that turn tighter. The regular cabs are harder to come by in the used market here.

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

you think a crew shortbed is bad, you should try a F-550 crew with a 12 foot body.
    but boy are they nice in the truck parking lots on 15 acre warehouse sites.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

It isn't great. It isn't awful. It's nice to have the back seat for all my coats, trash, car seats etc. Sucks to clean out though. Wheelbase is actually a couple inches shorter than the ext cab long bed I believe.

11. DobbinsINC

DobbinsINC Member

I plow with a crew cab long bed

12. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i run a crew cab short bed and dont have any problems

13. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

If you go with an 05 or newer ford they turn a lot sharper than the 04 and older. Difference in having coils or leafs in the front. I have a crew cab long box new this year and I didn't really notice a difference from my old truck which was an ext. cab long box. The way I see it is if you want a crew cab for the whole year and probably plow with the truck 15-25 times a year, suck it up when you are plowing if you have to back up a couple extra times to make a turn so be it. At least the rest of the year you have truck you wanted. My .02.

14. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

Someone has to say it......." It's not the size but how you use it"........sorry couldn't resist.:laughing:

15. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Its not bad, the worst part is the visibility. Especially if you have a dump insert like my father. Don't even bother to turn around to look.

16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The 05+'s have a much tighter turning radius, but even so my 02 Has been fine to plow with this season. I'm not really in any city or tight area's though, mostly faily long drives that aren't a problem. I love having all the space inside, could sleep in the back seat if I had to in a pinch.

17. trevier

trevier Senior Member

no dump body, or sander. I need the room having 2 girls and my extended cab chevy is closing in on 114 miles. I use it all year round for work also.

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It is?

Horse hockey.

Again, it is?

Put an insert in anything and visibility is going to be non-existent.

Question for y'all stating they are terrible, how many of you have plowed with an '05 or newer Ford?

I have a 550 with 10' bed that will out turn my CC, but still, my crew cab turns far tighter than my '00 EC.

I have been plowing with my '05 F350 CC since I bought it in '05. There are times a shorter wheelbase would be nice, but it does everything and then some that I ask of it. I can plow our tightest driveway up to our biggest lot with it. Our 2 worst driveways take some of my guys 20-30 minutes, I get them done in 10.

To make it worse, I had to extend my plow frame out about 8" because of my new bumper and I have an Ebling.

OP don't worry about it, you'll be fine.

19. DobbinsINC

DobbinsINC Member

I have noticed my 07 cc turns like poop compared to my reg cab '13 F550

20. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No real problem with the short or long crew cab.

2012 ford with plow 2.jpg